4th round chemo

ts

So, this is new. Based on the first 3 rounds, I should be down for the count today. Instead, I got up early, have been pacing all day, cleaning binge, walked to the post office and back (uphill in the rain) and am still energized!

This is the last cycle - short infusion on Friday and the port comes out next week. Also meeting the radiologist next week to plan the next phase. That will come soon enough.

Never predictable is it?

I'm really glad that your chemo has gone so well for you. It seems as tho. some have a terrible time and others tolerate it without much trouble. At this point, you don't really know what's going to happen next. At least I didn't and I certainly didn't expect it to return in 18 months. I am glad, however, that I still had my port for chemo following the second surgery. Please think positive, but keep the port at least until you have a few CT scans.

Muriel

I can't imagine keeping the port for months on end just in case. Funny though, I had a fill in onc last week who suggested keeping it for awhile, but my primary onc says not to. I'm still a bit confused about that. I guess I will see her Friday and ask again about where things might go.

It has not been easy. A second surgery sounds very scary, I am glad it worked out well for you. I know I still have a spot in another lobe of my lung that we haven't dealt with, unless chemo did...it leaves me unsettled to say the least.

It is good to hear that you are feeling so good before your last round of chemo. I hope that it has done the trick on the remaining spot and that you will have no need for that port in the future. But it sounds like it is worth discussing keeping it in. At least until you get results of upcoming scans. Wishing you the best on those results.

Sandra

Sandra wrote:

But it sounds like it is worth discussing keeping it in. At least until you get results of upcoming scans.

I agree. But I think one psychological factor is whether or not it creates an "appearance" problem — does its presence cause you to limit your wardrobe when out in public? Are you constantly having to answer the question "what is that"? Some ports are quite inconspicuous. Mine, on the other hand, is the double chamber type that causes a prominent bulge just under my left shoulder. Doesn't bother me a bit, but if I were of the opposite gender (not planning to go that route any time soon :roll:) I probably wouldn't want to wear any off-the-shoulder outfits.

Another issue is whether it would be an inconvenience to go to the clinic every month to have it flushed out, as I did during the 16 months I was on Tarceva. Not a problem for me, but it could be for some. Aloha,

Ned

It's a pretty discrete port, but not something I wish to keep if unneeded.

The lobectomy surgery scar is far more significant. I'm not one for off the shoulder attire anyway. I guess I need more info as to what the port might be used for if it is left in.

Unfortunately, my onc is moving so I will have a new one by mid-March. Another set of opinions to weigh.

I'm close to the hospital here, so access is pretty easy, except the psychological toll.

TS,

I had my port taken out immediately after I finished my first line chemo treatment. I regretted taking it out every time I went to have scans or blood draws because my vains were just shot.

Unfortunately for me, I did have to start more iv treatments and I had the port put back in.

Wendy

ts, I vote for keeping it in. I've been four months out of treatment and have no plan for taking it out any time soon. Like Ned said, there are different kinds and it sounds like yours is similar to mine--pretty flat down a bit from my left shoulder. I have to admit, I'm superstitious. I know a man who like you had docs that took it out very early and in a couple of months, he had to have it put back in.

As far as the energy surge goes, I have a theory that my last one was more about relief at the good results of my scan then about how long I was off treatment. I think energetic optomistic people sometimes keep their apprehension and tension just below the surface of consciousness. Then there is a subtle "whew." You are approaching the end of your treatment and that alone can be a terrific energizing relief. You did good!

Judy in Key West

Since I'm nearing the end of my chemo, I thought I would be having my port removed also but my onc. recommended leaving it in. She warned I would have to have it flushed once a month, but I will be seeing her for follow-up anyway, and having it flushed to me is not as big a deal as having to have it put back in. I had previously had a lung removed so my organs had shifted and for whatever reason the surgeon had a tough time implanting the port -- I was black and blue and very sore for several weeks. I will sure be happy to see the last of it, one day, but for now would rather keep it than take the chance I'd need to have it put back in. Also, since I end up paying a portion of each of these "short stay" procedures, that would be possibly two more bills (one to take it out and one to put it back in) that I could do without.

Diane