Chemo after 2nd lobectomy ???

jbonnema

Hello. I am new to LCSC and looking to find support for my mom who is starting chemo on Wednesday. She was first diagnosed with Stage 1 NSCLC in August of 2007. She had 1 localized tumor approx. 3cm. Underwent an upper lobectomy on the left side. All went well. No chemo or radiation recommended. 18 months passed she was doing well. In Jan. 2009, found reoccurence on left side in lower lobe. 1 single tumor again/approx. 1/2 inch in size. Underwent wedge resection to remove on 1/29/09. Met with cancer doctor last week and was recommended to begin chemo on Wednesday with a carboplatin/taxol combo 1x/3 weeks for 4 sessions. My mom is a very strong and positive person and feels she wouldn't be fighting hard enough if she didn't at least give this a try but we are all terrified of what the next couple of months may bring. No family history of chemo so we are all leaving our faith in the doctors hands that this is a preventative measure to hope that if there are any remaining cells lingering that the chemo prevent another reoccurence. Can anyone shed some light on their experience with carbo/taxol chemo ????

Hi, welcome to the group. Taxol/Carboplatin is a very common first-line treatment for NSCLC, and many of us here have had that combination. Practically everyone experiences hair loss and some degree of fatigue, but the other side effects vary considerably from one person to another. Some people develop peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling and shooting pains in the hands and feet) after being on Taxol for a while — it's a cumulative effect and may not reversible if it goes too far — and it needs to be reported to the oncologist immediately. I encountered neuropathy during my 6th cycle, but I had been advised to be on the lookout for it, and a quick call to my onc got me on medication which resolved the problem.

Nausea and allergic reactions are relatively uncommon these days because of the "pre-meds" given by IV at the beginning of each chemo session. If you follow the second link in my profile/signature block below, you'll find a fairly detailed account of my experience with Taxol/Carbo. I seem to be a bit more susceptible to skin problems than most patients, so those parts of my writeup may not be relevant to your mom. Though my months on Taxol/Carbo were not a lot of fun, there was never a day when I was debilitated to the point of being unproductive, and I never had any side effects serious enough to interfere with my treatment schedule. Best wishes and Aloha to you and your mom,

Ned

Welcome to the forum!! Sorry you had the need to find us but glad you did.

I was on Carbo/Taxol and Avastin for 6 cycles. I did lose all my hair and the only other side effects I had was some fatigue (but not enough to put me in bed) and that awful metallic taste it gives you. The chemo nurses told me, and at first I laughed, to use plastic silverware if you get that. Believe it or not, it does help!!

I am now on my 5th line of chemo and have NEVER had any nausea or diarrhea from any chemo I have been on!! Maybe I am just lucky or maybe I am not smart enough to know when to get sick, but please let your mom know that long gone are the days when chemo patients looked like zombies. I think thats why so many people are so afraid of chemos. Ned is right, the pre-meds they give you really do help.

Oh, and they will probably want her to get a Neulasta shot, usually the day following chemo. Neulasta helps the bone marrow produce red bllod cells. Now - the day after the Neulasta shot she may have some pretty bad joint pain. Mine lasted for three days the first shot and then after subsequent shots, I had nothing. But I wish I had been warned because the day after the sbot, I woke up, and nothing moved on me!! At least if she knows to expect this, it won't be quite the shock to her.

Wishing your mom luck with her treatments. Please keep us posted on how both her, and you, are doing!!

Hugs - Patti B.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have that combination but had Cisplatin/Vinerolbine. I had my upper left lobe removed in Sept. 2007 also stage 1. I pushed to have adjuvant chemo even though it was not recommended for stage 1. i was concerned about stray cells as well. I had 4 rounds and didn't lose my hair just some thinning. So far all my test have been clear.

I had different chemo. I am glad she is getting chemo now, you sure wouldnt want another stray cell to set up housekeeping again! This will be sure to kill those little buggers! Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi there. As you have heard from others, this chemo mix can be quite tolerable, as most are these days. Everybody's experience is different though. I will send prayers that it does the job for your mom. It is good to hear she is in such fighting spirits. Take care and keep us posted on how you and your mom are doing.

Sandra