15 months today!

Ellen in PA

Hi folks. Today is 15 months since I was diagnosed with Stage 4 adenocarcinoma. Still feel fine, still very happy that I refused chemo and chest radiation.

Please, no need to congratulate me -- all I did was not die. :wink: I just wanted to let people know that refusing chemo/rad is not an immediate death sentence.

Ellen

Please, no need to congratulate me...

Maybe no need, but congratulations anyway! I think you've got yourself one of those "indolent" cancers that Dr. West talks about. My onc started using that term about my adenocarcinoma a couple of months ago — but I hesitate to tell anybody since many people would hear "insolent" and have their suspicions confirmed. :P

Ned

Okay, Ellen, no big congrats or anything ~ just want to say I'm so glad to have gotten to know you. I think that alone calls for celebration of some sort. And BTW......how old were you this year??? What day did you eat cake? For those who don't now, Ellen is a leap year baby. I think she's somewhere around 16 or so!

:wink: ,

Kasey

Hi Ellen. Well I am going to congratulate you and the brave choices that you made. I also wanted to say that I have enjoyed getting to know you a bit on this site. You have a unique perspective and you are also sometimes just too funny! I enjoy reading your posts and the smiles they sometimes bring to my face. Keep it up...living and being you!

Sandra

Aw, shucks, thanks everyone! It's been great getting to know yiz* as well!

*'Yiz' is Philadelphia-ese for "y'all".

Kasey, if you must know, I'm now 16 1/4. Aka 65, gag barf. (But better than the alternative, as they say.) No cake (I'm still following Atkins, except at Kildare's) but we went to a big-splurge steak restaurant that we'd never gone to before. Mmmm.

Ned, yup, indolent is just fine! I've been lazy all my life so it figures. One funny thing -- at my last onc visit, the resident saw me first, as usual. He was a new one and read my file and said three or four times, with increasing disgust/annoyance, 'Boy, you have a WEIRD cancer! Boy, this is WEIRD!' Of course, I couldn't resist and finally said, 'Gee, I'm sorry. Bad for business, huh?'

Thanks again, everyone. Here's to us ALL celebrating when I'm 16 1/2 next year!

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

OK, no congrats, but staying alive sure beats the alternative.

Of course, we are the winners having you post and be here for what we need so in our lives - other ways of thinking, including humor.

I always notice your posts. They are part of my "must reads." 8)

Here's to indolence,

Barbara

• 4 months later...