Sorry it has been awhile since my last post

Well, nothing really to report on with my Pop-Pop. Hospice started coming to his house this week. As I said in earlier posts, all treatment has stopped and right now we are concentrating on his comfort level. Hospice started him on a drug today called Dilaudid. I know they prescribed this because he is allergic to morphine. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and is their any side affects that I should be aware of. I read that this drug helps slow down his breathing. Does this mean that they are expecting him to go quickly? I just have so many questions, and I hate asking his wife all of the time because she is dealing with him on a 24 hour basis.

Hi there. I hope Pop-pop is enjoying his time at home. I wouldn't read anything into the change in pain medication. Dilaudid is simply an alternative to morphine. It may have some different side effects but I am not familiar with them. I am sure you could look them up on the internet. I may consider a change to that drug as well as I have gotten a very itchy rash from morphine. But for the moment that seems to be controlled by an antihistamine and I don't want to make a change from what is working for me right now.

Hopefully your Pop-pop can tolerate Dilaudid and it is effective in controlling any pain. Take care

Sandra

I think all pain medications slow breathing--especially if given in strong doses--so I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they are giving him this particular drug. The main goal is to keep Pop-Pop as comfortable as possible.

Hang in there. We are here if you need us.

Susan