The MRI Results

Barb73

Bill and I received a phone call yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, and the call was from the doctor's assistant.

Bill's appointment will be earlier than planned. We will be seeing him on April 23, and will be discussing chemotherapy for Bill.

The MRI results were not good. The shoulder is a metastasis from the cancer, and is growing. It is not a complete surprise because he had originally had that same issue back in October of 2005.

The doctor had thought that the node was the only place of concern, but now that there are two, he is going to begin chemotherapy.

A while back, he had said that if the Tarceva stopped working, or he felt Bill needed more chemo, the type might be Navelbine.

I saw that Bill was ready for it, but somehow I think that he had hoped that the shoulder was something else. In my thoughts there was the knowledge that it was something he had wrestled with in the past.

Sorry the news isn't more uplifting, but we will be hoping for some benefit from the new treatment - whatever it turns out to be.

Thank you for bearing with me. This time, it took a bit longer to get the whole picture.

Barbara

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((((((Barb)))))

Sorry about this news - I know how much this sucks!!!! But remember, Bill is a fighter and will get through this, too.

I have been on Navelbine for quite a while now. Its pretty easily tolerated. If you want any info on it, please feel free to PM me!!!

Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs - Patti B.

Denise, Patti and Dana,

Thank you all of you for your support. I need that more than ever. I know Bill appreciates the fact that I come here to let you all know. It gives him a sense of being "in the loop of info." That does make a big difference.

Patti, I will most likely send you a PM. Thank you for offering that. After all these years of chemo/radiation and what not, would you believe I am still a bit nervous over this next regimen?

Cancer does suck, I hate the disease, but so many of those who survive with it give me hope for each new and precious day, week, month, and ....dare I say, years?

Still here, still plugging through, and still so very glad this community is here to help us.

Barbara

(((Barb & Bill))),

I am sorry the results weren't what you had hoped. Keep us updated on the treatment plan ahead. It was quite a few years ago that Mike took Navelbine, but I do remember it was the most well tolerated of all the chemo regimines he tried. It didn't help Mike, but as we all know chemo affects each individual differently. I do know that there have been many who had good results from it and overall, if memory serves me right ( that is questionable these days.. ) most people find it to be very tolerable. Know that , as always, my thoughts and prayers are with you .

Hugs,

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. They are important.

We do not know what we are in for re treatment as yet, but I'm thinking that it will be Navelbine. As with most things, we hope for it to work, do something, even stable. Sometimes, I feel as though it's one long line of regimens. Most of them have helped Bill. Gemzar did absolutely nada.

Oh well, I guess we play the hand we're dealt, and hope that the pipeline starts emitting more new stuff.

Barbara

Hi Ned,

That is an apt description "bump." Kind of rattles us a bit at first, but then, armed to the teeth with some reserve of optimism, we move forward.

Hope your treatment plan turns out well for you, Ned.

I've got my "fingers crossed" for Bill and for you, plus more than a couple of prayers.

Good luck to you,

Barbara

Hi Barb. I am so sorry to read that Bill's cancer has progressed. That must really have hit hard and I know from past experience that it takes a few days to digest it all and then get back into fighting mode.

I will also probably be starting Navalbine in a few weeks time so it seems there are a number of us on the board who are on to this next chemo plan. My doctor also advised that it is quite tolerable for most. I have not been in the "chemo room" since last fall and am not looking forward to going back there. But we just have to do what we can do and take it one day at a time.

Many prayers that Bill's next treatment plan does what it is supposed to do and holds the monster at bay. Please take good care

Sandra

Susan,

Yes, that word STABLE has become beautiful to our eyes.

We would be really very happy to see that occur.

Thank you, Susan. As the days progress since the news, I am seeing Bill prepare himself. He usually gets fortified with determination. That is what I am seeing.

Barbara

Sandra,

As you have said, there are a number here who will be on Navelbine.

We are trying to prepare ourselves with information to know generally what to expect. No one can ever know just how each person will respond, of course.

The first few days after receiving the news are the hardest. It does take some ingestion time. It gets mulled around in the mind, and the apprehension does lessen a bit.

Bill's last chemo infusion was last May 2008. That is coming upon a year now. So, no, we are not looking forward to that.

My thoughts are positive in that I am hoping that Bill tolerates it, that it works, and if so, it will be worth all the PIA surrounding it.

Sandra, thank you so much for the input. Prayers are being said for a good result for you on your next treatment. You know we will be thinking of you.

Barbara

Katie,

Yes, it was disheartening, but more so for Bill.

My "realist" self had a foreshadowing of this eventuality. Somehow, watching Bill's discomfort each day, and the favoring of the shoulder made my stomach twinge.

No one wants to see that. He, after realizing that the shoulder was more than "a rotater cuff problem," did take the news of more chemo as a more-or-less given.

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. When I say that to people, I hope they know that those are treasures - comforting, caring, and generous gifts. Thank you, Katie.

Barbara

What I have discovered over the last four plus years is that we don't really need to know someone personally to share this journey.

We walk the walk together, each at a different pace, and holding hands symbolically over the pathway.

Your wishes and your input add to the good in my day, and give me a chance to think positively.

I thank you, and hope that all of this will give us a good outcome. If good wishes could do it we are already halfway there.

Barbara

"beatlemike"]Barb,Altho I dont know you personally,you and Bill seem like such nice caring people. I to am sorry about the not so good news but hopefully the new treatment along with prayers will have the desired effect.

Barb - I haven't been around lately and decided to check in today to find out how everyone is doing - only to read that you and Bill are preparing yourselves for fight mode once again.

I am so sorry to hear of this latest development - as one who suffers shoulder problems I was hopeful that his shoulder pain was rotator cuff issues as well. I imagine there is a sense of loss in leaving Tarceva; however, as my mother-in-law always says "When one door closes, another one opens" ... he is now on to Navelbine and I pray that it is even more successful than the Tarceva was. It sounds as though there will be a "Navelbine Club" (or Navy Bean as Randy calls it :) ) starting soon!

You know I will be saying many prayers for you both and all the rest who are walking this walk.

Hugs,

Linda

Barb,

I am sorry that you did not get better news from the MRI report. It is a good thing that you were contacted right away to start the chemo. Will be keeping you both in my prayers.

Carol

Dear Linda and Dear Carol,

You guys are so appreciated. You take the time to answer and to give some positive vibes to me.

Yes, we are on to the next thing. One door closing (maybe). The Tarceva may still be in the works.

I'll let you know tomorrow (that is our appointment date).

Bill is up and running. :lol:

Tomorrow - we will see what "big guns" are going to be used, and what side issues may need to be addressed by something other than chemo. Hmmmm.

Love you,

Barbara

(((Barb)))

You and Bill started this journey the same month I did and since that time I have been very proud to call you friend.

I am so sorry to hear about the results of the MRI but I have complete confidence that you two will be proactive in taking care of this setback.

I pray that the Navelbine will be the magic bullet that gets rid of this "thorn in the side" for good!!!

Prayers for you two!!

Blessings,

Jamie