Anyone Remember Any of These?

Ann

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV to warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. And they did it!

When a ‘57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, 'that cloud looks like a... '?

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

Coffee shops with table side jukeboxes

Blackjack, clove and teaberry chewing gum

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

News reels before the movie

P.F. Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix - (Raymond 4-601).

Party lines

Peashooters

Howdy Dowdy

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records

78 RPM records

Green stamps

Mimeograph paper

The Fort Apache play set.

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do Over!'?

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'best friends'?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was 'cooties'?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Those nylons in 2 pieces were held up by garter belts!

Our telephone number was ------ Fairview 3-3397

Most everyone were on Party lines. So when the phone rang you had to count the rings to be sure it was for our house

Donna G

Like Donna, I also grew up with a phone that was on a "party line." I grew up in a small rural area and it's no wonder that everyone knew everyone's business...lol!

Gosh. I must be getting old. I remember most all of them. I actually got sent to principal office one time for having a dangerous weapon in school. I got caught shooting spit balls at the teacher. It was a small wooden rod about the size of a straw except if it got wet it did not collapse like a straw.

Does anyone remember the coke machine where the bottles stood up in water and slid on a track to the edge where you pulled the drink up (after depositing a dime of course)?

Oh yes I do remember them all. I can add one too. Remember there was a time when dishes, usually glasses) came in oatmeal. Don't forget skate keys and drive in resturants where you left your headlights on until they came to wait on you. I could tell you something about that that my grandkids still laugh and me and their grandpa for.

You sure posted this at the right time. Last night they had our anual cruise here in Redding. Every year we have a thing called Kool April Nights. It lasts for about a week. Usually a thousand or more vintage cars are in town. I went to the cruise last night. My son would have been in Mustang heaven there were so many. There were also a lot of 57 Chevys and some 55 t birds and even two 57 pontiacs. There were old chevys from the 30s and 40s and 50s and model A fords and modelt Ts. here were Hudsons and some old woody station wagons.

The only cars I didn't see were DeSotos and Nashes and Edsils or Packards. If they were there I either didn't see them because there were so many or I didn't recognize them after so long. Last year I did see and old Packard Truck that was probably circa 1940.

I love going to that. I loved the time when you could see a car a half mile away and know what it was by its shape. Those really were the good old days and you could find gas to run then for under 50cents a gallon. Even saw gas wars in the 60s where gas sold as low as 16 cents a gallon :!: