Monday's Air

jaminkw

I was talking with a member recently about making newcomers feel welcome. He said for him it was chat, getting to know people there and forming a bond of friendship. I was late coming on to chat and I said for me, I stopped feeling like an outsider through the Air. Yes, I think most of us feel a bit like outsiders when we start posting just by virtue of the fact that everyone else appears to know everyone and you don't.

In the interest of continuing the welcome from the Introductory forum, I would like to say good morning to all. It is a beautiful sunshiny but breezy day in Key West. I am thrilled that the little band of Ruby Breasted Grosbeak (3 males and 3 females I think) that stopped on their migratory trip are still here after more than a week. We must have very good (Walmart seed cakes in wire baskets) food because the migratory's rarely stay around this long. It could be the high winds keeping them here. Whatever, my husband and I are enjoying them.

If you get a chance, stop in this morning and say hi. Hope you all have a great day.

Judy in Key West

Good morning, Judy. It's a beautiful day here on Florida's beautiful Space Coast, even if it is hot and dry. Days like today always make it hard for me to be at work, looking out the window, when I would love to be outdoors. We seem to have had a large number of birds in our yard this year, Judy. I love watching the birds splash around in the birdbath. Tanner, my golden retriever, seems to like watching, too. He will sit quietly on the patio while they're bathing but as soon as they fly, he thinks the fun has begun and off he goes.

I'm hoping this week will be quieting down a bit and getting back to normal, as last week was absolutely crazy. Our American Legion Riders cooked breakfast at The Moving Wall and All Veterans Reunion last week. There was a great turnout and we had fun but there's something about hearing an alarm clock sound off at 4:15 that just makes me tired!!!

So, I hope everyone is feeling well and having a beautiful morning!!!

Cool and gray up here in the PNW. Last night, as we headed out for a walk, we heard what sounded like a woodpecker (we have some here in the city.) We looked up into the heritage walnut tree to see if we could spot one, but nothing there. Then we saw a crow on the power line and he was making the sound from within! Can they mock sounds?

Good morning all. It is a bit cool here but beautiful and sunny and it was sunny all weekend as well. My weekend was full of ball games and visiting with friends. I just love getting invited out for dinner!

We have hummingbirds come to the feeder on our deck year round. Feed them and they will come. They are beautiful to watch. But they can sure be aggressive with each other for such small things. First come first served...others beware!

Have a great day everyone!

Sandra

Well I think I better reply to this Air or Judy will hunt me down. LOL

We do not a a wide variety of birds this far north. I counted maybe 25 bald eagles on the weekend so that is a sure sign spring is here.

We have ravens here and they are just crows on steroids. Quite a bit larger but they are supposed to be 1 of the most intelligent birds. And yes TS they can mock sounds. Sometimes I think it is a human making the noises. it is not very nice when it sounds like they are making fun of you. LOL

I have seen 2 ravens get on the same side of a garbage can and begin jumping up and down to knock the cover off. If a dog is tied on in the yard, one raven will sit on the fence and distract the dog while the other goes in and eats the dog food.

Kind of chilly here today but its better than that below 0 stuff. I thought about putting off mowing the yard for one more day but if I wait to long I will have to bag it.My wife commented about the dandelions, I always wait until the darn things show up before I put on the weed and feed and by then it is to late. I remember as a kid almost everyone had dandelions and noone thought a thing of it. Sometimes I wonder if all the weed killers and lawn products we pile on our lawns and gardens dont have something to do with all the cancer and asthma.Not to mention what the farmers use.

Beatlemike - i have often thought about the fact that all my neighbors use chem lawn might have something to do with my cancer - anything that smells that bad can't be good for you.

And as for crows - yes they can mock sounds - my father used to tell me about a pet crow he knew who would sit in his cage and say "I'm a crow and I'm going to fly far far away" Then again - my father was a beer salesman - so maybe he had had a few!!!

Beatlemike and Janet, I agree and don't even get my husband started on the subject of chemicals. Janet, that's so funny and ts there was a fwd going around in emails. If I hadn't deleted it, I would send it to you. They put up cameras to catch who was robbing the cash and change machine at a car wash. Caught a bird (looked like raven or black bird) carrying three coins away. They continued to watch and followed the birds to two separate nesting places. They found a total of $4,000 in quarters. The picture with the bird and coins was real, I'd swear to it.

Ann, I really feel for you having to go to work. For someone who wasn't thrilled about retiring, I'm digging it.

Sandra, I am really jealous. We used to have occasional hummingbirds in our bottlebrush tree but my husband mentioned he hasn't seen any so far this year. Probably the danged wind!

And Bruce, yes you better show up or I will hunt you down and I know where to find you because I know where the buffalo roam LOL. How awful for you to have to put up with all our teasings and having the ravens make fun of you to boot!

What fun seeing you all here. Have a good day. I need to go check out "the bus stopped..."

Judy in Key West