Getting to Know You- Tuesday, April 28

Ann

I absolutely love those little Krystal cheeseburgers but we don't have a Krystal anywhere close to us. So.....I have been known to drive almost an hour to Titusville to get a sack of those little cheeseburgers. Now for the question....

How far do you drive for something special?

Like Sandra, I don't go far for a restaurant -- not more than around 20 minutes anyway. But when we first moved to Philadelphia (back in 1967), there was a radio commercial for a place in the 'burbs called the Doylestown Inn that featured a couple with strong NYC accents raving about the place and one of them said, 'Sure it's far! But for good food, we go!!!' Gerry and I roared each time we heard it at the image of New Yorkers driving 100 miles (past about 10,000 perfectly fine restaurants) for a restaurant in the Philadelphia 'burbs! Dream on, Philly...

Ah, but do gluttony-driven detours count? I once spent a night in London on the way back from a conference in the north of England, just to have a great Indian meal. And some colleagues and I once spent a night in Lyons on the way home from a conference in the south of France just to have a great meal in that city... And Gerry and I did once go for the day from Madrid to Segovia just for the suckling pig...

I'm getting hungry.

Ellen

You can have our Olive Garden, Sandra. It's about 15 min. from our house. It used to be fairly good. Now, they serve individual salads and just one breadstick per person. You can have more salad and/or breadsticks, but the wait is incredibly long.

Muriel

Muriel...I'm disappointed in you!!! In Orlando, you have Krystals all over the place. I guess Krystal burgers are like White Castle burgers. So,. you can see I'm not a very fancy gal but I do like these little burgers. They're square, small beef patties on little square buns. There is nothing I like better! I guess I'm just a cheap date....lol!!!

Ann, I have heard of those Krystal and White Castle burgers but have never had them so I can't say how far I'd go. We don't really go a distance for any food unless we can combine it with an "errand." Marathon's about 45 min away and we used to run errands to Home Depot and go to a restaurant we liked at a golf club there. Then Key West got it's own Home Depot. And then, of course, there's (my) famous Michigan Tabor Hill wine. We drove a few hours one time from Orlando to Al or GA, can't remember which. There we met up with a guy doing a job for us. He'd done a Sam's Club run in Indiana picking up a few cases of our wine before he headed south for the job. Food, wine??? You see where my priorities are LOL.

Judy in Key West

Ellen, Harry's is on Naamans Road a few miles from TW. It is the opposite way from Rte 95. It is not open for lunch on Saturdays if I remember correctly. It is a nice restaurant and has been around for years. Total Wine is so big it is like a field trip.