Need answers.........

Tom I

Mom was admitted to the hospital on 12/5 for 5 days of chemo with Topotecan for reoccurrence of SCLC. She was mentally and physically in good shape before going in. She made it through chemo in good shape without any significant side effects. She was weak after the chemo, but physical therapy was started to get her strength back. Things were looking like she would be home this week.

Over the weekend she started to deteriorate mentally. Now she cannot even operate the phone or TV. Here breathing has improved significantly but everything has deteriorated. She can’t feed herself. The doctors are checking for infection. I have a bad feeling that the brain tumors have started growing again. I’m going to push the doctor to do another scan. The difficult part is that this has all happened so quickly. Has anyone been through anything similar? Hearing from others that have been through this would be a great help to me so that I can understand what is happening.

Tom, could your mom's prob be the chemo? To me it would be very unusual for something to happen this fast since she was in great condition last week.

I saw my mom go through a slow progression of dying for about 2 months but not one week. She may be having a reaction to the chemo. That is my bet.....what do the drs say......

Guest Karen C

Tom,

My husband is Dave C., I just didn't take the time to log in so you could see his information. Anyway, a dear co-worker friend of mine, her father has NSLC Stage IV and had his first chemo treatment, in the hospital, last week. Last night they had to rush him to hospital. He was acting like he did when they discovered his cancer (the brain mets made them think he was having a stroke). Turns out that he was, last night (1) having some dehyradation; and (2) taking more perkistat (sp?) than was necessary. It wasn't his brain mets doing it again (he had brain radiation to alleviate them as well as the steroid decadron).

So don't despair, it might not be as bad as you think. I'd make sure she was getting enough fluids.

Hang in there and God Bless.

Karen C.

• 4 weeks later...

While I read this board frequently, I have only posted a few times. I have found the information from everyone on this board very helpful.

My mom was diagnosed in March 03 with extensive stage SCLC with mets to the brain. She went through 4 weeks of cranial radiation and then 6 months of chemo with a combination of Carbo and Gemzar. She did great during this period. She only got sick once. She always kept a very positive attitude. She went to her senior meetings, took trips to Atlantic City. In Oct. her CT scan showed the tumors had all shrunk. She was so excited!!! In November she even got to NYC 2x to a see broadway play and a concert at MSG. Then around Thanksgiving she started having difficulty breathing again. Another CT Scan in early Dec showed the tumors had grown again and spread to her lymph nodes. She was admitted to the hospital for a second line chemo treatment of Topotecan on Dec 5th for 5 days. She did good during the first 5 days, but started to decline around day 6. From there it was a steady slide downhill. She eventually died on Dec 22nd.

This SCLC is a terrible disease. When you just feel that you turned the corner it comes around and gets you. I hope research can come up with something to cure this horrible disease. I hope everyone fighting this horrible disease beats the odds......

Sincerely,

Tom I

Tom, I am sorry to hear that you mother lost her battle with SCLC. You are right, this is a horrible disease. It is so good that she had a chance to go to NYC, and Atlantic City and enjoy herself. That is the secret I feel is to live life to it's fullest while fighting. My prayers are with you and your family. Remember we are all here for you.

David C

Tom, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. SCLC is really horrible and you are absolutely right, while you think the cancer is gone, in fact, it is re-organizing the army again at some places. I really hope that many funds come to the research for cure. This is my wish. You are in my prayer and please do take care.