Dad is in the hospital.........*Update* coming home!!!

Caren

When I spoke of the SOB a few days ago he wouldn't allow me to call for help. He did, however, deteriorate with that and also with diarrhea and sickness. He then told me last night that he had been bringing up some clots of blood since the night before and this is when I took it upon myself to seek some help.

I phoned the on-call GP and on their advice I called for an ambulance.

Dad was given some fluids here at home and then we went off to the hospital. They have given him something to stop the sickness (which looks like a teabag has split open), more fluids, stronger pain killers and some oxygen (his SATs were down to 92). He had a chest and stomach x-ray on admission to the ward last night and the doctors will be doing the ward rounds shortly so hopefully I will know more then.

I know that I am his daughter and so you will all know how it feels to be worrying, but I used to work in a nursing home and cared for many elderly people there and often held their hands while they slipped away and so I am used to seeing death, so to speak. Dad looks like he's about to start that journey now.

ETS: Although I did start a thread late last week saying that he seemed better and had started eating again...come the start if this week the loss of appetite had returned and he's lost 5Kg since the end of April visit with the Oncologist. Even when he was whacked out with his first line Chemo he didn't lose that amount of weight.

CAren I am sorry to read this but remember, sometimes the hospital is the best place to be to get better!!!!!!!!! Think of this as a small set back. Dad probably has not been eating cause he did not feel well enough. THis would also lead to not drinking enough fluids causing dehydration. Get some IVs and start from there..

The diarrhea you spoke of could be an infection in the digestive system. I said could be cause I am not a doctor but dealt with a nasty one DEb had years ago when she was fighting this disease. C. Difficile it was called. Nasty little bugger but the Hospital got her all cleared up after about 2 weeks in ICU and she was home eating like an athlete. I still think the SOB is related to the fluid around the lungs. An ultra sound should determine this out for sure I think. Dealt with that one also.... Minor surgery and a tube to drain 8 liters of fluid and 2 day stay in ICU and Deb was home quick like a bunny!!!

Minor setbacks happen that scare us cause we don't know what they are but the experts at the hospital should be on it. These are just possibilities that I have dealt with in the department of which you speak so hope something helps!!!!!!!! Gives YA a thought about what to ask Doctor about for more info or possibly what the diagnosis could be also...

Thoughts and Prayers for a quick and speedy recovery for Dad and home soon!!!!

I am so sorry your Dad is not feeling well. Just a thought that my mom's oncologist advised that Tarceva can be a very nasty drug on some. Maybe the Tarceva is interfering with things too. Of course you should ask the Doc. to tell you all the side effects of Tarceva so you know how to differ between the drugs vs. the cancer. So hard b/c most drugs have side effects. I hope your Dad improves and gets home soon. Keep the faith during this time when things seem to be at their worst, know that you do not walk alone in your heart and prayers.

Marci

Thank you all for the hugs and well wishes, it is very much appreciated!!!

Dad was sitting up and looking a lot better when we got to the hospital today and he has stopped vomiting, although he still has an awful 'tinge' to his skin colour.

Well they are still running a series of tests. They are thinking that there could have been some internal bleeding. The stool sample and blood work all came back good and so they are putting the sickness and diarrhea down to the Tarceva and are now liaising with the Oncologist (he is in the medical assessment unit) to see what needs to be done regarding that treatment.

They want to carry out an endoscopy to see if they discover anything going on in that area. That won't be done today b/c he's eaten and so I don't think it will be done until Monday unless he becomes a more urgent case.

I didn't get told about the result of the chest and abdo x-ray because the nurse said that I need to speak with the Doctor about that and I didn't have time to wait for them to do the next ward round.

Hi Caren. I am sorry to hear about the latest turn for your dad. But I am with Randy. The hospital is obviously the best place for him right now. And hopefully they will get your dad feeling better and back home.

Hey, I was in the hospital in life threatening condition in January and they managed to turn me around and get me back home. It is possible that the infection I developed was caused by Tarceva. Very rare side effect of course but possible, so something to keep in mind.

This is so hard on you as well so please make sure you are looking after yourself. Please take good care and keep us posted on how you and your dad are doing.

Sandra

Caren, sounds like you are already experiencing the benefit of dad being in the hospital. I noticed it couldn't get a test because "he'd eaten" and that's a great thing. Hope he continues to improve. Keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

Caren, sounds like you are already experiencing the benefit of dad being in the hospital. I noticed it couldn't get a test because "he'd eaten" and that's a great thing. Hope he continues to improve. Keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

Judy isn't it great when we think that eating one solitary biscuit is such an achievement? :lol:

I haven't called the hospital this morning as I like to leave it until after the Doctors have done their rounds. I didn't receive a call from them at all after getting home yesterday and so I am assuming that there is either no change or he's doing even better now.

Just as I was thinking I'd be posting hopes that your Dad would be home, voila!!!! I read that he will be discharged for home.

This is wonderful.

Bill had some side effects on Tarceva (the diarrhea being the worst) but thankfully, it didn't last.

Your news this morning has made my day. We have nothing but clouds here in my area, but your post was a sunny note.

Barbara :D