A Message from Jerry Remy Boston Red Sox Commentator

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... om_re.html

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

Popular Red Sox commentator Jerry Remy, who is taking an indefinite leave of absence to recover from complications of lung cancer surgery, posted a detailed "personal message" last night on the website Sawxheads.com.

In November I had a very small, low-grade cancerous area removed from my lung. I was fortunate that it was discovered at an early stage. Except for the surgery, I required no additional treatments. I left the hospital with a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately, following the surgery, I developed a bad infection further compounded by a case of pneumonia. It was the pneumonia and the infection that set me back. This all happened just as I was leaving for spring training.

In hindsight, it was a mistake to go and I am paying the price for it now . . .

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the outpouring of concern you have given me recently. I honestly appreciate it. Secondly, I want to emphasize that I am in good shape now.

While physically I have no issues, the past few months have been emotionally draining, and exhausting for both my family and I. Along those lines, I would like to thank NESN and the Red Sox for allowing me to take as much time as I need. I am not certain exactly when I will return, but I will keep you posted.

. . . . . . . . .

(Extra Bases, Boston Globe Blog by Chad Finn, May 7, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.