Introducing Myself

Katy66

Hi, I'm Katy a 43 year old wife and mother of a 6 year old daughter, whose husband was diagnosed the end of March with Stage III lung cancer. Last Monday, about three weeks into chemo and radiation, he began having vision problems. The MRI showed a lesion on his brain affecting the optical nerve. It is so small, had it not affected his sight they would not have found it. They immediately stopped chemo and began radiation to the brain as well as lung. The current plan is to radiation through the end of the month to both locations and then go back on chemo. We see the oncologist tomorrow.

Although I'm very sorry that any of us have to be here, I'm glad to find this group. I'm also happy to learn that there are organizations focusing on research for the treatment and cure of this horrible cancer.

Hi Katie. I am glad you found us also. Hope that radiation just zaps it dead! Sounds like it is a pretty scary time. What have you told your 6 year old? Please keep us posted. This can be beat.

Donna G

Donna,

I actually work for an organization that is a post acute continuum of care and hospice is a service under our umbrella so I was able to call in the experts on how to talk with our daughter about serious illness. She knows her Dad has lung cancer and that he has to take some pretty bad medicine to try and kill the cancer. We spend a lot of time explaining that is okay to be mad or scared or worried and that we are too. Once we talked to her it lifted a huge burden off of me because now if I need to cry I can and she knows why. Kids are so resilient though. One night at dinner something was said about the cancer and her response was "I'm tired of talking about Daddy's sickness, can I tell you about my day?" Talk about a dose of reality. I think we could all take some cues from kids in taking care of ourselves.

Katy

"Donna G"]Hi Katie. I am glad you found us also. Hope that radiation just zaps it dead! Sounds like it is a pretty scary time. What have you told your 6 year old? Please keep us posted. This can be beat.

Donna G

Hi Katy and a warm welcome to this group. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. And having young children makes this even more challenging. A prayer that the radiation to the brain does the trick and that your husband can get back to the other treatment. Please keep us posted on how you and your husband are doing.

Sandra

Hi Katy,

You are right--this board and the people on it are a Godsend. Most of us came here in shock, depression, anger (or all three) and have learned that there are good treatment options and that people do survive this.

Let us know what we can do to support you and your family.

Susan

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Quick update...met with Gene's oncologist yesterday. The plan is to finish radiation on the 25th, CT on the 29th and see the oncologist again on the 2nd of June to formulate our plan for chemo. He through out a bunch of options yesterday but said we couldn't really decide how aggressive we need to be until he had the next CT scan. I was pleased that he is still very positive and hopeful!

At some point I need to tell you guys about the jerk :x pulmonologist that we dealt with first so you will understand my emphasis on hopeful :)

Katy -

It sounds like the oncologist really is moving right along with treatment and testing - that is great!! I bet you that we could share stories about our first doctors - my neurosurgeon told me two days before Christmas 2006 that I wouldn't see another! Ha! My oncologist and I proved him wrong - and I will be praying that Gene has just as much success and more!

God bless - and peace

Janet

Sometimes I wonder if MDs just say that to make you mad so you'll fight like hell???? Don't know but I can say that reading the "stories" and seeing how many of the people have long outlived their prognosis gives me hope! I'm so glad I found this site!

"I'm tired of talking about Daddy's sickness, can I tell you about my day?"

Welcome Katy. Aren't kids great. I happen to be of the mind that they are the best medicine for cancer and any other disease. Good luck with the treatment plan and hope you can get some insight on where to go from here with the next CT.

Judy in Key West