Introducing myself

Evalynn

Hi everyone. I am from Ontario, Canada. My mother passed away 3 1/2 yrs ago from kidney cancer. I joined a forum then and it was most helpful and inspiring.

Just found out that my mother-in-law now has lung cancer. They haven't confirmed it yet with the appropriate tests but we all know what it is. My kids have endured alot of close family passing on. My grandmother 2 years before my mom, my mother (who was very close to my kids), less than a year later my other grandmother passed away, 1 month later my dad passed away and 3 weeks later my uncle. All very close. Now 2 years later we have my mother-in-law. This is very overwhelming.

So far, we know that there is a large growth on her lung that the doctors are deeming cancer. Right lung - looks like perhaps 1/3 of it is the growth. Have done a CT scan and discovered swelling of the adrenal gland which they say it might not be cancerous and sometimes found in healthy patients. They have also found something suspicious in the center of her chest. Forgive me. New at this type of cancer and not up to speed with terminology.

They are setting up different tests/biopsies to determine degree of situation. They figure she may be in stage 3. What are her chances based on this information?

Have decided to wait to tell our children until we know all of the details. My youngest took everything so hard before.

My husband and I have 3 kids 18, 15 & 13. Mother-in-law is 67.

Your response will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

Hello Evalynn, sorry you have had to join this forum but very glad you are here. The main thing to remember for any of us is that everyone is an individual and statistics are just statistics. Wow you have been through alot in recent years, I can surely sympathize. I lost my dad,mom, 3 aunts, an uncle, my brother and his son in a period of a few years and it is overwhelming. All we can do is try to keep ourselves together and cry as much as we need to. Keep us posted and keep your head up, there are amazing things happening everyday and we don't want to miss out.

Donny

Hi Evalynn,

Welcome. First thing is don't read the statistics. Statistics tell us that someone should only live for a year and 10 years later they are still here. We all respond differantly to treatment, so statistics are very unrelievable and only serve to scare us half to death! Sorry for all your troubles, glad you found us. Keep us posted!

Dana

Evalynn,

So sorry to hear this news about your MIL. You and your family will be in shock for a little while. I encourage you to learn as much as you can about treatment options. The people on this board are an excellent resource. You can also go to www.cancergrace.org. That site is moderated by oncologists, radiologists and social workers who provide treatment information and will answer questions.

The other thing is not to believe the stats. There are many long term LC survivors here. With the appropriate treatments there is a lot of hope for effective treatment!

Susan

Hi Evalynn. So sorry about your need to be here but you have come to a good place. There are many surivival stories and hope here. And lots of knowledge and support. Once there is a treatment plan in place for your MIL all will start to feel a bit better. Please keep us posted

Sandra

Hi Evalynn,

Sorry to hear about you MIL but glad you found us. There are many members here who have survived, lived or are living many many years after their diagnoses/prognoses. I'm a firm believer in as long as there is life there is hope. Lung Cancer is not a death sentence, one can still have lung cancer and still have a life. Looks like your MIL's doctors are on top of things and getting a treatment plan in motion. Take it one step and one day at a time. Research as much as you can-- knowledge is the key. Stay with us and keep us posted. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

Hi and welcome -

Wow, you have been through so much in the last few years. I am so sorry you have to now go throught this.

There is always hope and please never, ever give up. Sounds like you are a great support system for you MIL - she is so lucky to have you by her side.

Keep posting and let us know how both her and YOU are doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Evalynn

As you read through the stories and profiles here you will see that many of us are living and living well many years after diagnosis. Take that hope and run with it. Read through the forums and get a feel for the questions you might want to ask the oncologist and come here for support and answers and friendships.

We all worry about how to deal with our children. It is my biggest worry. I wish I had answers for you - I am still struggling with it - Just love them -

peace

Janet

Evalynn, I'd like to just add my welcome to the board with my regrets you had to find this type of support again. You really have had more than your share. Things usually get a little more sane when you have a definitive dx and a treatment plan in place. Hope you can find someone to advise you on how to handle this with the kids. Difficult for adults, really scary for kids.

Judy in Key West