First Alimta Treatment

jaminkw

It's day three after my first Alimta treatment and so far so good. I slept until seven today instead of five so I guess the steroids are wearing off. I'm prepared to just rest if I crash but it's too soon to know. I took my last dex-whatever yesterday.

I had a couple of bouts of naseau and gas yesterday but took zofran for the first and dinner worked for the second. The phenergan they gave me for the last treatment really never worked so my daughter asked them to give me this. I have occasional gastrointestinal issues even without chemo. I wanted to be able to control it instead of "feeding" it like I did last time. Fifteen more pounds and they'll be rolling me lol.

I don't feel like running any marathons or even doing my exercises on my Total Gym but I'm going to try. I'd be pleased if this was as bad as it gets.

Judy in Key West

Hi Judy. My husband had his first Alimta treatment last Tuesday and is doing pretty well. He was constipated for a couple of days but that has worked itself out. He was having some muscle soreness but I might atribute that to the fact that he was not taking enough folic acid (his multivitamin had enough in it but I did not realize he was only taking 1 multi when the "serving size" is 2). We have since corrected that and he feels fine. His head was quite red for a couple days after, like he was flushed or something. He is also having nosebleeds as well, more than when he was on Avastin. We will discuss these things with the oncologist next appointment as I am not sure if these are to be expected.

Overall, I feel he is tolerating this quite well. Still riding his bicycle several miles a day when he can so fatigue has not been an issue yet.

Judy, on my first Alimta cycle I developed a rash on the upper chest and back starting the 5th day after my infusion. But since that's the only time it's happened, I think it's because I was feeling good enough to go with my wife on a shopping trip to Honolulu's Chinatown, and it was a hot day with a bit more perspiration than I've been accustomed to in recent months. Benadryl allergy tablets and Hydrocortisone 1% cream stopped the itching within a couple of days, and the rash was gone within a week.

Sounds like you're doing fine.

Ned

Thanks guys but talk about crash and burn. I followed a friend's advice on how to handle the constipation the first couple of days but thought I was o.k. and stopped taking the Senekot. I started with intense gas pains and constipation yesterday. I drank Senna tea in the evening but spent the entire night in and out of bed and on and off the couch and the toilet with unremitting pain. Only got a little pain relief from the heating pad. Remembered I had a fleet enema and got a little help (and sleep) about 1 am. The pain resumed about 3 am and there was little sleep after that.

I need to get my fourth day in hand as I continue chemo. It seems to be my nemesis. I'm so tired and spent today, I'm pretty non-functioning. Didn't even want to sit up and post but thought it might do me good. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Judy in Key West

Ouch, Judy, I hope you're feeling better by now!

In case you haven't visited cancergrace.org recently, you might be interested in some of the posts by Dr. Stephanie Harman, who is Medical Director of the Palliative Care Program at Stanford University Medical Center. She was discussing constipation with another member, and I jumped in with some specific questions on chemo constipation which she answered within a few hours:

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 19#msg8819

I had asked her about the label statement on Senokot and its clones to "use no longer than 7 days unless directed otherwise by a doctor," and her reply included "...it can be used safely beyond just 1 week and many patients can take senna regularly and indefinitely. I like it as a laxative because it is gentle (slow onset of action over hours)."

My bottle is almost empty, so guess I'll be heading to Walmart to stock up on their generic version.

Ned

Thanks for the kind words. The problem is ongoing but getting better.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy but I don't know how to treat this disease. I just don't think it helps to sit/lay around. Yesterday I did my warm up and strength building exercise on my total gym. It wasn't so difficult because I was still feeling pretty well. I haven't done my aerobics on the machine since dx because it always was hard. Before the cancer came back I was trying to bike again occasionally. My ideal would be the total gym ever other day and biking on alternate days. Today was so rough I didn't want to chance biking. Mid-afternoon I decided to drag myself up and out for a walk. My dear husband went with me. He said that or I'd have to take my phone if I needed him to come get me lol. We walked he said about 3/4 of a mile. I was really shot when I got back but don't feel too bad now. It's hard to know whether or push yourself or how hard to push.

Ned you are a life-saver with those links. I'm going to go check this one out right now.

Judy in Key West