I am still here . . .

gail

alive and thriving! 8 years out this past April. Son graduated from COLLEGE in December! I was sobbing just before the ceremony--had to call my sister--I was overwhlemed that he actually graduated and that I actually was there to see it.

He was in first grade with my first cancer, 6th grade with my second, and ninth grade with the lung cancer. At that time I was questioning whether I would see his high school graduation much less his college graduation.

What have I been doing? Where have I been? Working and enjoying every day with my kids. While my written objectives state what standard I am addressing in the curriculum, my real objective is that the kids are happy to come to school each day and feel good about themselves.

Oh, and I lost 30 pounds this past year. My sugars started slowly creeping up into the pre-diabetic point and I thought, "It would really suck if I survived 3 cancers and get diabetes or die of a heart attack". So I changed my eating and my sugars dropped 40 points in a year.

Oh, and my Phillies won the World Series :D

gail

Gail - how great to hear from you!!!! I am so glad you are out living large (oops - nope you lost 30 lbs - let me rephrase that ... living ... mmm, nothing but words that mean big - ahh you know what I mean :) )

EIGHT years - wow - that deserves a huge congratulations. I am just coming up to my 3 year - you give me hope that there are more years for me cancer free.

My sugars have just started to climb too - I went to see a dietician and am trying hard to change my eating habits - guess not trying hard enough. Time to get serious and follow in your footsteps and lose those unwanted pounds for good. It's so true that my focus has been so much on cancer that when the big heart attack takes me I'll be the most surprised! Any hints you can pass along re: what helped the most please PM me ... I so love carbohydrates and I am afraid if I start eating more meat as that is a "safe" food that I'll increase those crazy cholesterol levels (which are good right now). Anyhow, you have inspired me today to get it together.

Sincerely Gail, I am so darn happy for you. Those kids you teach are so lucky to have you - I can tell how much you care about them.

Also a huge congratulations to your son on his recent graduation - what a wonderful moment that was for all of you I'm sure.

Take care Gail,

Hugs,

Linda

Hi Gail,

It's really great to hear from you! Congratulations on your continued good health and your son has graduated from COLLEGE! Time sure does fly.

Tips on how you lost the weight please! I was just talking to someone here yesterday about how I didn't want to be a two time cancer survivor and then be faced with heart disease.

Congratulations again on all the good things going on in your life! You deserve it.

Cindy

Welcome back from the land of the missing, Gail! I've wondered many times just where you were and how you were doing. Glad to hear all is well, but I must chastise you for never veering off the highway to your son's college to stop by here :( ! Hope you;ll join us in KOP soon.

Kasey

Congratulations on 8 and wishing you many many more!

I see that "Burlington County" and know we HAVE TO MEET. I grew up in Burlington County too. How about you pm me your address and I do a mapquest. I wish there was some way I could snag my car off the trailer we'll be dragging behind the coach and abandon my husband and make that KOP luncheon. I just can't figure out how to do it within our time schedule.

Judy in Key West

Great news, Gail! I know exactly what you mean. I was diagnosed when my twin sons were in 4th grade and I didn't know if I would live to see them graduate elementary school. I've been so blessed.

Well, last year they graduated high school and this year they just completed their first year of college.

My next goal: their college graduation!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gail,

I am absolutely thrilled for you - I can't believe your son graduated college!!!!! How cool is that?????

My son is going into 5th grade - I remember you sharing your fears with me when I came on - my son wasn't even in pre-school yet. The last day of school this year I dropped him off and saw all the posters lined up for the elementary school graduates and had to pull over - I was crying already, a year in advance!! lol So I can only imagine how you felt to see your son's college ceremony. Wow!!!!

Congratulations Gail.

Gail-

8 years!!! Wow!!! What a milestone and what an inspiration to all of us here.

My goal is to see my son graduate from high school - two years to go. Of course, I wondered at the time I was diagnosed if I would see him through middle school!!!

Congrats again and heres to many, many, many more years!!!

Hugs - patti B.

• 2 weeks later...