radiation for pain management

AnneM

Hi everyone,

I've so far had 11 radiation treatments (just over 2 weeks), 3 more scheduled. This has been to try to reduce some of the pain that seems to be caused by a nodule near or on the recurrent laryngeal nerve. They told me to expect some relief of symptoms after 2 weeks, but so far things are exactly the same. It's so hard to be patient when you're in pain. I was so hopeful that this would help and I would be able to enjoy my upcoming trip with less pain meds, but now I'm worried that it's not going to do anything at all. Any of you that have had palliative radiation...how long did it take to reduce pain? Did it continue to get better after radiation stopped?

Thanks,

Anne

Hi Anne,

Sorry I haven't been in your situation. But I have read about using radiation for pain management and that improvement can continue after radiation is complete. Others will be along soon who have more experience then I do.

Dana

Hi Anne. Don't give up hope yet. Radiation can work up to a month after treatments. I have experienced it's positive effects both during and after treatment. If you don't receive a lot of benefit though, be sure to follow up. I had one round that did little and I wish I had said so earlier. Hang in there

Sandra

Hi Anne,

I have had radiation to my spine ( 2 places) my skull and my pelvis for pain relief. A few times I had relief within a week or 2, the other 2 times it was over a month before I could feel the benefits. Unfortunately everyone is different and the little "buggers" have a mind of their own. Don't be shy about talking about how your still feeling to the radiation oncologist.

I hope you receive some pain relief soon!!

Wendy