Getting to Know You - Monday, June 15

Ann

I attended all BUT the last one - 30 yr - I missed it because they scheduled it for Thanksgiving weekend. That might be a good time when we were young and still going home to mom and dad's for the holidays - but for most people, by the time you hit 50, that is not the case!

My husband and I were high school sweethearts so class reunions are fun for both of us - it was a small class (184) and we knew everybody. The only person my husband didn't recognize - oddly enough - was his first girlfriend!

Funny timing.

2 weeks ago I went to my old neighborhood reunion. People from all the different schools but neighborhood buddies. We do it every year and it just keeps getting bigger as word gets around.

My high school friends are in the process of setting up a reunion for the fall. It will be from 3 different classes. I went to a very small all girls school and many of the girls were from out of the country. Just got an email confirming the date and getting the whole thing rolling. I will only lie if you ask me how many years. LOL.

The last reunion I went to was my 10 year reunion. In 10 years, people had changed a bit but not enough that you couldn't recognize them. I moved to Florida before my 20 year reunion rolled around. I do keep up with some of my friends online and yes, it is remarkable how some of them have changed. It seems all of the "ugly duckling" kids from high school are now very attractive and many of the "swans" have gained a ton of weight and aren't as dazzling as they were way back then. And, like Ginny, I am not about to tell you how many years it has been since I graduated!!!

Now Ann, I come out to play and you're going to make me cry. I had gone to every reunion we've ever had and my husband's as well. We have a lot of cross-marrieds between our classes. We were also part of the Bandstand dancing generation so we still try to act like fools on the dancefloor. It's always fun.

Yes, I recognize most of the people, well those I knew well anyway. The last one I went to was our 42nd. Yes, that's weird but they dropped the ball on 40 and decided to do it two years later anyway. Now the sad part, I had the outfit I was going to wear and was all set for my October trip to NJ for the 45th in 2007. Unfortunately, it is the one and only reunion I missed. I was in the hospital in September and going through the dx process in October. I will definitely make the 50th for sure. Let's see, that will be 2012. Oh my!

Judy in Key West

I went to a huge hs in NYC (7000 students, graduating class of 1700) and they never had ANY reunions. In 1990 (30 years after graduation), some people decided to have a reunion and managed to locate a large bunch of other grads and held a reunion at a hotel at a NY airport -- and 750 people showed up! It was incredible. People came from 36 states and 14 countries. They made us name tags with our yearbook picture on them, which made recognition infinitely easier. Some people still looked the same, some looked totally different, and some looked just like their mother/father did 30 yrs before. We had another reunion in 1995 but it was much smaller and much less exciting and hardly anyone came who hadn't come to the 1990 one. Oh well. No reunions since then.

Ellen