Getting to Know You - Wednesday, June 17

Ann

It seems like a lot of people posted yesterday in response to songs that take you back to a happy time in life. So, today's GTKY question will have to do with songs.

What is a song that you remember your mom or dad singing when you were a child?

I don't think I ever remember hearing my dad sing anything solo but I do know that he would always sing hymns with the church congregation. But, my mom was a different story. She was always humming a song and sometimes found one that she loved enough to sing, over and over again. There are two songs that come to mind when I think of her singing....Ramblin Rose by Nat King Cole and Silver Threads and Golden Needles....not sure who sang this. Although I don't hear either of these songs often, I do think of my mom when I hear them.

Hmmm.....my mother was a pretty good singer, but I can't really pinpoint any one song in particular. My dad, on the other hand, couldn't carry a tune in a paper bag, but for some reason was always moved to sing Silent Night at Christmas time. Thing was ~ he was loud and flat and just terrible, but everytime I hear that hymn nowadays I just weep! Gosh I miss them both!

Wow - what a memory that was. Thanks for it!

Kasey

I don't remember my mom ever singing - except very quietly in church.

But my dad - he would sing show tunes at the top of his lungs - I especially remember him singing Camelot, If I Were a Rich Man, and Man of La Mancha.

And on Easter Sunday he would sing Jesus Christ is Risen Today so loudly in church that we would all die of embarassment.

I can barely remember Mama singing and Daddy just a little. I think if they did sing anything it would have been a Jimmy Rogers song like "All around the water tank".

I used to sing the Irish Lulaby to my kids and another old one " Long long ago".

Ann I think it was Jean Shepard who originally sang "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" but I am not certain. It really takes me back because my dearest friend Betty( Johnny's sister) always sang that song. Anyway I thought you might like to have the lyrics.

SILVER THREADS AND GOLDEN NEEDLES

I don't want your lonely mansion with a tear in every room

I just want the love you promised,beneath the halo moon

But you think I should be happy with your money and your name

And hide myself in sorrow while you play your cheatin' game

Chorus

Silver threads and golden needles cannot mend this heart of mine

And I'll never drown my sorrow in the warm glow of your wine

You can't buy my love with money for I never was that kind

silver threads and golden needles cannot mend this heart of mine

I grew up in faded gingham,where love's a sacred thing

You grew up in silk and satin,where love's a passing game

I know now you never loved me and I know I was a fool

To think your pride would let you,live by the golden rule

Repear chorus..

I never knew my mother, and if my Dad sang at all it was probably at the racetrack and I was never there.

I remember when my daughter was about ten, I used to play and sing along with Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" all the time. I told my daughter she had to learn all the words. All these years later, I put it in as my ringtone on my phone (when I switched off "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" when the holiday was over).

My mom "loves" to sing and is actually not a bad singer. Unfortunately though she likes to sing "loud" especially in church. My sisters and I got very used to people turning around and looking for that voice.

On rare family road trips I do remember both my parents singing "You are My Sunshine".

No singers in my family, but I did get the Good Morning Mary Sunshine tune upon awakening. And I sang Twinkle twinkle little star often, so I think I may have got that from them. My Mom liked musicals, so there was some singing along with the records - South Pacific, Music Man, that sort of thing.

I don't remember my mom ever singing - neither her nor I could ever carry a tune to save our lives.

Dad, on the other hand, altho he had a pretty bad voice had a special Thanksgiving song he sang for us kids when we were little. We LOVED it and would start to beg him to sing it the minute he got up on Turkey Day but he would make us wait until we sat down to eat. Dad has been dead for 30+ years and noone knows where he got this song from but this was it:

A pumpkin ran away

Upon Thanksgiving Day

They'd make, said he

A pie of me

If I should stay!!!

We would beg dad to sing it over and over until Mom would complain that her head was going to explode!!!

And on each Thanksgiving Day, us kids still sing that song!!!

Hugs - Patti B.