Malignant pleural effusion

michellep

My husband was just diagnosed in February 2009 with stage III Adenocarcinoma with malignant pleural effusion. It all started when he was diagnosed with pneumonia in January 2009 and they drained the fluid twice, then a chest tube inserted followed by pluradesis (talc to seal the lung). He is currently on chemo with Gemzar/Carbo 3 weeks on and one week off. He is extremely weak and on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk more than 2 ft at a time so I transport him by wheelchair to doctors appts.

My question to anyone who can help me is do any of you have information you can provide regarding this type of cancer and why would it all happen so fast? He was working out and the gym 4 days a week, quit smoking 2 years ago and was in great health (or so we thought) and now he has declined this rapidly? I don't understand any of this so any advise would be appreciated very much. I'm desperate to know if they are any long term survivors out there. I'm just terrified every waking moment.