Unexplained Falling

Annie01

My 70 y.o. Mom was diagnosed in March with Stage IV NSCLC (squamous cell). She's been on 3 week intervals of Carbo/Taxol and CT scan after 3rd treatment showed 50% shrinkage of main tumor--was 8cm at diagnosis, but now is 4cm. Just had 4th treatment on June10th. Since then, she has fallen 3 times. She met with oncologist today, but he didn't give her any "reasons" why she might be falling; i.e., side effect? She says she's not dizzy and she can't explain it either. Anyone heard of this before or have any suggestions on what might be happening? Thanks.

Annie

Annie,

I quickly looked at your earlier posts and you mentioned some other brain related activity. Did your Mom ever get an MRI? The first sign of cancer for my Mom was falling - it was first dx as a blood clot in her brain, surgically removed and she stopped falling and regained use of her left side. Unfortunately, a few days later the results were cancer and it was everywhere. Not trying to scare you, but this brought an immediate gut reaction for me.

I did have vertigo during chemo - mine was mainly when I laid down - the room would spin. Is she falling when she leans over - like to pick something up off the floor? Might also check her blood pressure...

You might pose the question on GRACE (cancergrace.org), and see if the docs can help.

Good luck, take care.

Stephanie

Annie-

I would push the doc to do zn MRI of her brain, also. Just to make sure there are no brain mets. Who knows, maybe this is just a side effect of the chemo for her but always better to be safe than sorry.

Please let us know. We will be thinking of the both of you.

Hugs - Patti B.

Annie,

My 79 year-old mom did the same chemo regine and has had some issues with dizzyness and balance. I'd really push for a brain scan just to make sure there is nothing going on. Her blood counts may be getting low as well. I'm concerend that your Dr. is not more concerned. The falls are not good, regardless of what is causing them. It is NEVER good for a 70 year-old to be falling frequently.

If your oncologist is not listening to your mom, I would suggest thinking about finding a new onc.

Susan

I would agree with everyone that if your Mom has not had an MRI, she should definitely get one.

I had trouble with falling also during chemo. Finally turned out to be my blood pressure. I have always had high blood pressure, and all of a sudden it was running extremely low. None of the doctors ever suggested cutting back on my blood pressure medication and didn't seem to connect that with my falling. Finally one of the nurses suggested it. I stopped the medication, and haven't fallen since. So far my blood pressure has remained normal without medication. The nurse told me that this sometimes happens with chemo. Of course I am keeping a close eye on it, but it sure cleared up the falling.

For what it's worth, just another possibility.

Annie, sounds like you're getting some good advice here. I don't have anything to add but hope things work out for your mom real soon. Stay on the onc for the MRI and, if need be, take here to her PCP and check some of the non-cancer stuff out. The oncs are focused on the cancer and can be a little blinded sided to anything else.

Judy in Key West

Annie....my husband fell many times until I figured out on my own (not from the docs) that it was caused by some of the medications he was taking. They were giving him 3 different kinds of water pills and a sleeping pill called temazapam. Once I took him off those (except one water pill) he's been fine. Actually alert :) But I do agree with the others about an MRI and certainly talk to the doctor! Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Thanks everyone for your great advice as always. Mom had a clean MRI back in April. I did find out that her red blood cell count was low and they gave her a shot of Procrit. Perhaps that was the cause of the unexplained falling. We'll find out soon I guess if the falling discontinues. She's got 2 more treatments scheduled and then she'll get a break from chemo.