Question about my husband

michellep

I was wondering if any of you happen to know what causes his body to "twitch" while sleeping? He's never done this before the diagnosis and isn't on any medications that could cause this to happen. Is it a indication that perhaps the cancer have traveled to the brain perhaps? I also find him talking to himself quite often.

Any ideas of suggestions would be appreciated!

"jstdzy"]Hi Michelle,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. The only thing I can say is that I was probably twitching and talking to myself too, just from the sheer stress of it all. Have you gone to grace yet and asked Dr. West? Here's the link for you.

http://www.cancergrace.org

Dana

Thanks for the info....I'm on my way there now. I sure am happy I found all of you here. I had been feeling so darned alone before and now I am beginning to truly feel empowered :)

The chemo drugs/pre meds can cause restless leg, which could be seen as twitching when sleeping. Another thing I think people will notice is that once you have that diagnosis on the table, you start to notice EVERYTHING. Pains you would never have made a note of, you wonder could that be the cancer. It is possible that this isn't anything really new, but you never noticed it before.

I talk to myself all the time, sometimes I argue with myself, sometimes I tell myself we are no longer speaking to each other. :) I guess to me, talking to yourself is pretty normal.

I always second the idea of asking over at cancergrace.org - can't go wrong by doing that!

"cat127"]The chemo drugs/pre meds can cause restless leg, which could be seen as twitching when sleeping. Another thing I think people will notice is that once you have that diagnosis on the table, you start to notice EVERYTHING. Pains you would never have made a note of, you wonder could that be the cancer. It is possible that this isn't anything really new, but you never noticed it before.

I talk to myself all the time, sometimes I argue with myself, sometimes I tell myself we are no longer speaking to each other. :) I guess to me, talking to yourself is pretty normal.

I always second the idea of asking over at cancergrace.org - can't go wrong by doing that!

Thanks Cat! Those symptoms can even describe the caretaker as well! :) I appreciate your advice and I believe you are correct on this.

Hi, Michelle. Chemo can cause all sorts of weird stuff, and some of it may not be documented in the official literature. Put "twitch" and "chemo" in a Google search window and you'll find a number of interesting questions/observations.

Fluctuating potassium levels can cause muscle spasms (cramps, twitches, etc.), and my oncologist and my family physician both monitor those levels closely. Low potassium can be caused by chemo, diuretics, etc.

Talking to oneself? Heck, I think that's perfectly normal. Sometimes I agree with myself, sometimes I don't. As they say, two heads are better than one! I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about brain mets, but common symptoms of a brain met would be something more like increasing headaches, confusion, blurred vision, or dizziness — and these can be caused just by the chemo too! I think it's best to not be overly concerned about brain mets, because they can be treated more effectively than many other byproducts of lung cancer. At least that's what I tell myself (see, I did it again!). :D

I saw your question posted on GRACE, and I think you'll get a response from one of the oncologists soon. Aloha,

Ned

Hi Michelle. As others have said, it may be nothing or it may be a side effect. Regardless though make sure to mention it to the doctor. I know I was doing a bit of twitching and talking in my sleep before I went into full kidney failure. We learned from that to always mention anything different going on. Take care

Sandra