Chemo of Alimta or Tarceva

Notts

Hello All, Back again with some new issues. After completing my Chemo and then being hospitalized for 2 weeks, receiving blood daily for low white count, finally was discharged and the counts finally came back up. Had about 5 or 6 really GOOD weeks (better than I had felt in years). Now new tests showed significant enlargement or the right hilar mass and development of peripheral nodule in the upper lung. Also, slight volume loss in the right lower lobe.

My choices were 4. Hospice, Chemo of Alimta, Chemo of Tarceva (not highly receommened by Doc) or clinical trials.

Have chosen the Alimta Chemo to start, although I did some research on the Tarceva and didn't get much bad feed back, do wonder about the Docs comments.

Anyone who has any info on either or these, it would be greatly appreciated. Suppose to start 1st Alimta treatment on Tues. Need to know about side effects and how well it has worked for you.

They are not giving me much time, so sort of grasping at straws.

Looking forward to your responses and thanking you in advance, I am Sincerely, Ceedee (Carol)

(((((Carol)))))

So sorry about your newest developments but please don't give up. There are some really good drugs out there - Alimta and Tarceva both being good. I was on Tarceva for about 8 weeks but it didn't work for me. The only side effect I got from it was the diarrhea - never got the rash so I had guessed it wasn't working.

I was on Alimta for about 8 months. The major side effects were fatigue (but nothing I couldn't handle) and shortness of breath and these side effects seemed to be cumulative in nature. My blood counts stayed good and thats really all the side effects I had. It is given once every three weeks. You do have to get Vitamin B12 shots every so often and I had to take daily folic acid pills.

Wishing you luck in whatever chemo you decide on. Please keep us updated.

Hugs - Patti B.

Thanks Patti, That was encouraging. Had heard that about the rash and Traceva. That will be my 2nd choice over the Alimta. Guess I hope I get the rash if I use Tarceva. Any other info you can think of will be great. Also, heard about the fatigue. Want to drive to the beach ( 6 hrs). Do you think I could make it??? Ceedee

Sure you will make it - us girls around here are tough!!!!

The fatigue for me was cumulative in nature and really didn't start to bother me until I had been on it for a while. Of course, I have been so lucky with all the chemos I have been on - I get very few side effects - PHEW!!!!!!

Again, good luck and keep us posted. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Carol,

I had Alimta and Tarceva, had good results with both of them. The Alimta (has kept me stable since Dec06) only side effect I had was fatigue. The Tarceva only side effects I had was rash (it came and went on its own) and diarrhea (lowered the dosage from 150 mg to 100mg and cleared that up). Hope this helps and good luck with the Alimta.

Rich

You are a brave lady....keep fighting....you are in my prayers....many people have had great luck with Alimta....my husband had it but his cancer progressed really rapidly...he was stage IV to begin with mets in the brain, bones, etc. etc....he initially had a good response to the Alimta..

God Bless...there are many survivors on this board....who will tell how they beat the odds.....

Hi Carol. I am so sorry to read of your latest developments. But never give up hope, you are still here and you still have treatment options.

I have been on both Alimta and Tarceva. I didn't tolerate Alimta all that well but most people do. It really knocked me out good a few days after each treatment. The Tarceva rash got me pretty good to begin with but there are many ways to manage the rash and the dosage can be adjusted. Both of these drugs have helped many people though, so my prayers are being said that alimta does what it is supposed to for you. Take care

Sandra