Question About Coughing

Gene has had some coughing on and off during his treatment but it has not been bad until the last couple of weeks. It has gotten progressively worse and he has now coughed so much that his side is sore. He is coughing up phlegm...sometimes discolored, brown. They have now given him some cough medicine and told him to take mussinex but I'm just wondering how some of the rest of you have handled this and does it mean we are having a set back? He is off chemo this week, a much needed break after three straight...I would hate for him to spend it coughing. I have a call into the MD now for some info on breathing treatments to help loosen the stuff up. Is this just a part of it?

Hi Katy. Fortunately I have not suffered from coughing. But many on this board have so hopefully they will be along soon to share their experiences. I do hope you are able to get it under control and that he gets a much needed break.

Sandra

Its kinda weird but the coughing helps clear things up. Its the bodies way of getting rid of the Phlegm and what not that develops in the Lungs. Deb used to cough and that's basically what we did for it along with cough drops of course. As Deb used to say coughing aint great but it helps!!!

Thoughts and Prayers Randuy in NC

I took Gene in yesterday to have his cough checked out and I'm glad I did. He has pneumonia! WBC was at 18. They have him on an allbuterol nebulizer; steroid inhaler, and antibiotics. He has been extremely fatigued lately and I guess dealing with this on top of the chemo will do it. He has had a slight cough all along but this was different... Anyway, thanks for the response.

Randy I see you are in NC too, we are in Asheville.

Nice to meet you Greensboro Randy. I have been to that airport!

Yes Sandra, I'm learning that you leave nothing unquestioned. They were going to call in a stronger cough medicine and I had to suggest that they maybe evaluate the cough first. I have to say though the NP that saw him was wonderful, very thorough. I sometimes think you are better off seing an NP or PA vs the MD. They seem to take more time!