My latest scan/Update/7/13/09 Update

Patti B

Patti - I am so sorry for the unbelievably crappy news.

Like many others have said I have little doubt that you will be there front and center cheering Nick on at his graduation. I truly believe you are going to have great results with the Gemzar.

You have my fervent prayers going up for you dear lady and for your sweet son and husband. I wish you a more uplifting and gentler week.

Hugs,

Linda

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More NEW NC Prayers For YA Patti!!! don't use old ones but say fresh new strong prayers for You and The family !!!! DIE CANCER DIE!!!!!

Patti,

Whenever I get a chance, Patti, I say prayers for everyone here - our cancer survivors and for their/our loved ones.

We are all in this together. It pains me that the news lately has been other-than joyful, but that's the way it does go at times. Let's hope it changes for the better.

The hope is that there will be a good wave coming down the pike for all of us, for you, Bill, and all here, including families/loved ones.

May our collective prayers ring bells.

Barbara

Hi everyone-

First of all, thanks to all of you who responded to this post with your thoughts and prayers and for the many PMs I received. It really does help a lot.

BUT - theres more bad news. I went Thursday for a MRI of the brain and found out Friday that I have multiple mets. They are all very small, but mets nonetheless. Dr. P. had the gamma knife guys look at my MRI but unfortunately I am not a candidate for that. So - I have to have 3 weeks of whole brain radiation. DAMN.......I don't want to go bald again!!! Isn't that crazy thats my first thought???? But thats whats making me cry the most - that and of course, theres one more thing my poor kid has to go through. He was such a trooper - told me we would get through it and even said that sometimes he thinks all this is making him stronger.

Everyone says I shouldn't be worried about the hair thing but it almost did me in the first time and now after having hair back for about one and a half years, I have to go through this again. All of us know how horrid it is to look in the mirror and see that bald head!! A wig never worked for me so I always wore scarves - you know, so everyone knew. Can't stand those stares!!!!!

Whats worse is they did not give me chemo on Friday and I will have to wait 2 - 3 weeks after my last dose of radiation before I can go back on the gemzar. Dr. P. said he is not real concerned because I DID have at least one dose of the gemzar and he feels better that I had something that the cancer had not figured out how to get around. Me - I am freaking because with the bad scan, I don't feel real confident about going this long without chemo. AND - Dr. P. said that any other mets I may have starting that are too small to have shown on the MRI will get blasted off the face of the earth (hopefully) by whole brain!!!

I go Wednesday to the radiation onc - I guess they are going to make me a mask. I am assuming I may start radiation the following Monday.

To top everything off, my moms birthday is tomorrow - she will be 92 and I have never been fully honest with her about all this. She knows I have LC, but doesn't know I am stage 4 and I never told her about my hip met. Since I will be going bald again, I will need to figure out if I am just going to tell her the truth or tell her I have started a new chemo. I don't want to tell her anything that may affect her health. My husband says tell her the truth, but my sister and brother don't want me to. They are afraid for her, also. So I need to make up my mind on that one, too.

Anyone who has had WBR, what side effects did you have???? Obviously I am going to ask the onc on Wednesday but would love to hear from those who have actually been through it.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Oh Patti, not much to say right now other than a big DAMMIT! Hope that doesn't get deleted. This crappy disease takes pieces of us bit by bit. And that has nothing to do with progression of the disease. It just takes the REST of us while we try to fight it. I hope you know that I am here trying to just SPIT in its face and hoping it doesn't fly back at me. I am in your corner no matter what. Never had WBR so can't really comment. Just be sure you leave no stone unturned before you reach your final decision. Hope you can feel the support and love ~ I'm ony 1 state away.

Kasey

(((Patti))),

Just wish I could give you that hug in person. I'm at a total loss for words because I know there's not much I can say that will make you feel better . I just know you and I know that you will just do what you have to do and give it your all,. I'm just so sorry that you have to ... Please please keep us informed and let us support you . Love and prayers are coming your way.

Hugs,

Sue

Not even sure if the words can work now.. Patti Your in my thoughts and always in my prayers also !! If I can help with ANYTHING let me know !!! I hope and pray that this works Fast and Furious !!

"DIE, CANCER, DIE!!!!!!!!"

This disease just sucks! Don't think it's foolish to feel bad about losing your hair at all. Mine is just finally starting to grow back (only about 1/2") and I was just thinking about how I would feel if the Dr told me I was going to lose it again -- and I would JUST HATE IT. I'd do it of course, but probably not too graciously.

Am sending many many prayers that you knock these mets out of the park.

Diane

Patti,

Rooting for you way over here.

What a good kid.

I think your Mom can handle the news - those 90 somethings have been through so much and have pretty good perspective on these matters. Not that I was completely open with my Dad - but enough that I felt comfortable. I also had family who thought I could gloss it over for him. I wish I felt more comfortable talking with him - he doesn't hear so good so it is difficult to communicate, but he knew what was going on thru my treatment.

Take care - lots of hugs.

Patti--Well phooey! I am so sorry to read about the brain mets, but I totally get it about the hair. My mom said she wasn't going to freak out about losing her hair the second time, but she did. She kept saying that when she looked in the mirror it was like she didn't see herself anymore.

Your son sounds like a great kid--but why should I be surprised with the mom he has! Keep putting one foot in front of the other. The WBR will blow those suckers out of the water and you can go back to the chemo in a few weeks. It will be fine.

((((Patti))))

Susan

Well that's just CRAP NEWS! Not what YOU wanted to hear, nor the rest of us. Crap Crap Crap!

Having said that, my sister did WBR many many moons ago, and she did lose her hair back then too. Honey, as long as you CAN look in the Mirror then that's the PLUS OF ALL THIS! Who cares if your with hair or without hair. The fact that your HERE is what really matters. And you don't have no muss or fuss with doing your hair. :D Losing my hair wasn't that big of an issue to me once it was gone. I was upright and that was the good news for me. :wink:

My sister had some memory issues but nothing we couldn't deal with. She also had seizures. She one before WBR and she had 2 after. I'm not trying to scare you, but I know you want the whole picture of what can or might happen.

I've also had some of my In Person LC Survivors that had WBR and they had minor problems with it when they did theres, the memory issues were the main complaint with the.

Your Nick will work through all this because you have taught him well. He's a smart kid and will get through all of this. Your a very good mom and he's a great kids.

You ARE in my thoughts and prayers. (((((((((PATTI))))))))))))))

((((((((((Patti))))))))))))))

I'm sure you have figured out by now that talking is one of my strong points and talking to God is no exception. I will be remembering you in my thoughts and prayers. You know, we have a powerful group of people here and I have seen them pray a lot of people through some very tough times. Just put on your boxing gloves and get ready to knock all that C (can't dignify it by uttering the word) out of your body!!! Just remember that we'll all be right here beside you with or gloves on , too.

Patti

I don't know what to say...

I am crying for you.... (((HUGS)))

I will just say, once again, that you are a true fighter and you will fight this all the way through the WBR and Gemzar treatment and I'm sure you will come out of the other end pretty much unscathed.