Right Side - Restaged DOWN to 1A - No Chemo

Annette

Had my first oncologist appointment following surgery June 15th. She says that since there was no lymph node involvement and the margins were clean that I was staged as a 1A and they were not recommending chemo. She is going to call the surgeon today and tell him to get busy taking the tumor on the left side out we want the same results. So I am feeling pretty good since the left side tumor was small. Still scared obviously but these are good results. The report says pT1pN0MX and the oncologist said let me write the stage on the paper for you and Wrote Stage IA!!!

Annette,

How did you go back to work so soon after removing part of your lung? I had my URL removed in May and still have pain everyday. It sems to get better everyday, but I am not as lucky as you, I do have to have Chemo and seems it is one thing after another. Now the port placement in my chest and juggler is causing me pain.

Did they open up your back to take it out??

Kathi

Annette,

Congratulations!

Kathi,

I believe Annette had VATS which is not the kind of surgery you and I had. So you should still be hurting, it gets better. I don't remember when I could sneeze and cough without yelping, but I got there, so will you!

Dana

Thanks for posting your good news hear Annette. We needed it! Best wishes on your next surgery. After that though, I would still hold the chemo discussion. Some here have done it for preventative purposes, like a bit of insurance. In the meantime just rest up and take care of yourself in prep for your surgery.

Sandra

Thats great news !!! Don't be shocked if they change their mind on a little preventive chemo after next surgery OK??? Hope I am wrong though!!! Your Doing AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathi, Dana is right - I did have VATS. They did go in from the back - have about a 5 - 6 inch cut right at the bottom of my shoulder blade and three or four 1 inch cuts in my side. The worst part of coming back to work, as a female, was the amount of clothes I had to put on - I could do with one less garment! I had it on June 15 and actually came back to work on June 30th. My surgeon told me that it was up to me as long as I was off pain meds (for driving purposes). I work in an office environment and last week still needed a pillow to cough because the "nerve" pain was horrible. Still have a small amount of pain coughing. I am hopeful that I can recover from the next surgery fast as well - but would bet that it might take me a little longer.

As for the "Chemo" conversation. I can't begin to describe the relief I felt when my oncologist told me no chemo for my stage (even considering the other side). I agree it is something to discuss but I want that other tumor out while it is still "small". Then she said we would do a pet and go from there. While I understand from reading this board the chemo isn't as hard as it once was - it still scares the .... out of me - so one step at a time.

Thanks for all your wonderful replies.

Annette

Annette, congratulations on the great results of your first surgery. Good luck with the second and keep us posted. You're right about not dealing with the chemo question until you get through the next surgery. There will be time to consider that. Meanwhile, that one day at a time rule was never more true than when dealing with cancer.

Judy in Key West