Update on Bill's Brain Scan

Barb73

We went July 13 for the brain scan due to the lost-word syndrome.

The scan came back that the ribbon of fluid (hematoma) which was partially visible on the neck scan (and had been determined as having become SMALLER re that particular scan) had, in actuality, become LARGER as viewed in the full brain scan. That might be enough pressure to cause the recent symptom.

As to the fluid, the radiologist told us to make an appointment with the neurologist. We did that as soon as we arrived back home.

Bill's appointment for the treatment (taxotere) was to be the next day, July 14. We arrived and told the oncologist that we had the appointment with the neurologist for July 15 (following day).

He said he thought that it would be better to wait on the treatment (due to its having possiblility of lowering white blood cell counts). If surgery was to be the choice it would be good to be in best shape possible. We agreed. It made sense.

(He told us that he had met with the neurologist at the hospital just that morning, and had told him about Bill having taken a brain scan, and that the neurologist might expect a call from us depending on the outcome of the scan.)

As a result of what the neurologist says today - "wait and see" - or surgery to release the fluid, that decision will determine when Bill will receive the taxotere.

If "wait and see," Bill will be receiving the treatment this Friday, otherwise it will be next week.

I am so relieved that there were no more brain mets. We consider ourselves very lucky that the WBR, 20+ treatments over two years ago has held, and has enabled Bill this precious time with so few side effects. We consider that a HUGE blessing.

Bill and I are a little nervous about the taxotere. The only other chemo about which I was concerned was Avastin (due to the bleeding issues associated). He has withstood so many regimens. It's been amazing.

Thanks so much for bearing with my overload here. :)

Am trying to keep the late Dave Grant's motto in mind: "Attitude, Spirituality, Support and Hope".

Barbara

Barbara and Bill,

You guys remind me of pioneers trekking out into unknown territory. You plod along little by little and when varmints and/or any outlaw type become threatening, you circle the wagons and load up the ammo, take aim, ready to take care of business. When the imminent danger has passed, you saddle up and continue on your way. You are an amazing duo!!!!!

My hope is that this turns out the best it can - not sure if it would be surgery or not since I'm not real familiar with this particular scenario. Whatever would be the BEST outcome is what I'll wish for.

Ya know our next lunch is in September, Barb. How far IS it to King of Prussia from where you are? We would all LOVE to meet and support you!

Kasey

Hi Barb and Bill,

I just wanted to add prayers that the best possible outcome be brought about, as Kasey stated below. I'm not sure myself exactly either, since I have no experience there, but my prayers are with you.

My husband had taxotere and did really well on it. It was one of the few chemos that actually held him stable for a while, and he experienced very few side effects. I will pray for the same and even better tolerance and results for Bill as well.

I am so relieved that there were no more brain mets. We consider ourselves very lucky that the WBR, 20+ treatments over two years ago has held, and has enabled Bill this precious time with so few side effects. We consider that a HUGE blessing.

Barbara, I agree with Kasey, you and Bill are quite a tenancious team. I don't think the fact that Bill has done so well is all due to luck. Don't know anything about this latest scenario either, but wishing it all goes splendidly for him.

Judy in Key West

To All plus Ned, JB, Susan, Katie, Maryanne, Carleen, and Kasey,

I have to say that this support has been fantabulous. No other legitimate word could apply. You all have given me the push I need.

What has occurred appears that the "ribbon of fluid," the subdural hematoma, has increased, but according to the neurologist - not enough to make an intervention at this time. He ordered a scan for Bill's brain in mid-August to assess at that time.

Back at the ranch ... Bill's oncologist, upon hearing the assessment of the neurologist, has determined that he would start Bill tomorrow. I said that it couldn't be possible due to the steroids not being there to preempt the infusion.

Soooo, the decision was made for Bill to be there Monday - with prior steroids in place - and an increased dosage (instead of a one hour infusion - a one and a half hour).

We will be ready to attack. "Die cancer die" (stolen from Randy). :)

Frankly, Bill is sort of happy that he will have a weekend to prepare himself psychologically and physically.

We're ready.

Kasey, that invitation is not being ignored. I just am so very tired that it amazes me that I can even keep an eye opened. At this age, sleep seems to be a very inviting temptation. Though - I am what you said - ready to circle and load the guns. 8)

Funny, but the last time I had a "gun" was when my kid brothers had them for Christmas (toys) and we would load them with caps.

Cowboy hats in tow, we would "kill" each other. We had a really wonderful time as kids. It was all in imaginary fun, and we lived so innocently. It's amazing how things have changed.

Today, Bill lost the keys to the house and everything imaginable. We had the locks changed. By the way, VERY expensive deal. Guess what? It was I who put the keys in a safe place and had forgotten. OOPS

Who has the brain problem?

Barbara

Thank you, Caren,

Your prayers are very much appreciated. Prayers, I believe, have coaxed us through all the treatments.

This weekend will give us a respite, and then onward to Monday early to face the taxotere.

I really do feel that we are not going over there alone. :)

Barbara

Barbara - I too am glad that Bill gets the weekend to prepare - he will have that time to strengthen his mind set (as he has many times before) and enter guns blazin'!

Know that I keep you both in my thoughts and prayers daily (and Monday will be an extra special prayer).

Take care and many hugs sent your way,

Linda

Linda, and Dana,

We will be going over here Monday - and we will be well prepared. The weekend will definitely be a good break for Bill.

He was going over for scans, visits, and all, so this will give a chance for some off time thinking, relaxing, and even maybe some work.

Today, he used the dust mop on the basement, and felt good. The neurologist had pointed out that Bill should not be stopped from activities. Anything he wants to do - he should do it.

He said there was no reason for him to stop anything. If he needs to take a rest break, so be it.

Well, I guess that's telling us plainly. :lol:

Thank you again. I don't feel as down as I was last week. I came here, and got "bolstered up."

You all are THE GREATEST.

Barbara

Thank you, Bud. :)

Just a note to say that Bill felt so good yesterday that he repaired something that was in dire need. Today, he is going to paint that repair.

We are also going to have a great chicken dinner today, with all the trimmings. We are getting ourselves in the best mode possible.

Actually, being able to unload concerns on this board is a pasychological plus.

Barbara

Barb, so glad you and Bill are enjoying a good weekend. Will be holding my breath to hear results of an easy day for Bill (no way for it to be easy for you) tomorrow. Keeping you both close in my heart.

Judy in Key West

Thank you, Judy,

You are so right about "no way easy" for me. I was just telling my sister, Claire, that stress can send us to the nuthouse if we aren't careful.

She and her family are going through her daughter's chemo regimen for breast cancer.

Seems that the support she and her husband, Bill, were giving to us has now been reversed. We so need to be there for them. They have been hit hard with that diagnosis.

Life has thrown the family another curve and we need to "go with the flow." Of course, Judy, it's a lot easier said than done - but, we'll do it somehow.

I am very fortunate that I have this oasis to visit. Not everyone belongs to such a supportive and informative group.

Love,

Barbara

Sounds like we have that in common too Barbara, my sister has a daughter with breast cancer as well. She was dx'd before me but her cancer is more extensive--I think bone and liver. It's sometimes difficult to get straight info. But we were both doing well on our individual treatments and both of us progressed at about the same time. I felt bad for my sisiter. She said she was having a little trouble getting her head around the fact that she had to worry about me again too. I'd been in remission for a year. Much as we want to continue to survive, the biggest concern has to be for the younger generation.

Judy in Key West

Dear Carol, Susan and Judy,

Thank you for the input, and the support.

Yes, Judy, you are so right about the concern for the younger set with this disease. It bugs me no end to see that occur.

Bill and I figure we are plugging along with this, and trying to survive, but it is definitely younger people who have the more difficult road to hoe. My niece's diagnosis is giving us pain.

Susan, Bill has one up on me now ever since the "key incident." There will be no more referring to "brain issues" in this house. :lol:

Carol, your prayers are always wonderful. When we go over there to HUMC today, we will be feeling them in our hearts. Thank you.

Love,

Barbara

Hey Barb,

You two are absolutely amazing!!! You are the role model for the perfect marriage. I pray that my hubby and myself carry that same bond as we grow together. You two are my motivation!!!

Your strength, courage and determination is admired by many!!

Keep inspiring!!

We love ya!

Jamie

Jamie and Maryanne,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. We appear a LOT more "perfect" here than in "real" life. :lol:

Finding ourselves trekking back and forth to cancer treatments and trying to manage somewhat of a life inbetween is very often a conundrum.

The oncologist told us yesterday about the side effects, and added, "Usually, you will get them if it is working a while. If it is not working we will have an issue."

That was not too good to hear, but thankfully, Bill is hard of hearing, so he missed that gem. The doctor measured the neck node with a little ruler. That gave me a sinking sensation in the pit of my stomach.

You see, we were told that this will be it for what they have on hand to use in the battle. However, the oncologist has mentioned maybe clinical trials.

Oh well, remembering to cross bridges only when they appear, and not to borrow trouble.

The idea is to get through this one step at a time.

Yesterday's treatment went very well. There was no untoward reaction.

We drove to a little restaurant afterward, and had a nice lunch. Bill had the salmon. That's his favorite.

I report this only because, without doubt, there are those "out there" who are doing the very same.

They, we, are not alone, and it does help when someone can read something about "getting through," however mundane it may sound.

Love,

Barbara