Probably Dumb Hypochondriac like Questions....

Annette

So I was wondering - has anyone used a heating pad to help with tight muscles even though you are combating cancer. I may be just "crazy" but I was afraid it would help "spread" it.

I have read so many "healthy" profiles - getting into exercising, etc. Does anyone continue to drink soda? coffee?

I have not smoked in over 60 days - and I have cut down from a LOT of soda to 2 or 3 a day - but I would surely love a cup of coffee....

Thanks for any input.

Annette

Annette, there are no stupid questions here. I do exercise, never much of a soda drinker but lost my taste for coffee. Do have a cup every now and then when I get the yen. I firmly believe most things in moderation won't hurt--like my little glass of wine a day lol. I never heard of any problems with a heating pad. My massage therapist recommends it from time to time and I trust her.

Judy in Key West

Hi Annette,

No dumb questions! I started drinking green tea and I also try and eat lots of fruits and veggies. That's about it. Oh yeah! And I don't smoke! Quit smoking when they did my ULL in Apr '08. So good for you on not smoking!

Dana

Annette-

I have never heard about not drinking soda or coffee - I guess everything in moderation is the key altho I drink A LOT of coffee!!!

As far as the heating pad goes - I do know they told me when they gave me my pain patches not to use a heating pad but other than that - I really don't think its a problem!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Annette,

I believe the heating pad should be fine while actively battling cancer, but a deep-tissue massage may not be wise.

I have heard that caffeine is a bad thing for the body, whether battling cancer or not, but have the occasional cup of coffee or Coke. It's always better to be healthy than to be unhealthy, a healthy body is more apt to fight a big battle. You may want to talk to your GP before beginning any major exercise program, depending on your age and the status of your health. If you go from being a couch potato to attempting a marathon, you may just have a coronary!

Congratulations on not smoking. I have a friend who is working on quitting right now, I can sympathize, but cannot empathize as I never started smoking, just dealt with lung cancer on a very personal basis.

Good luck in your battle!

Becky

Annette, I know how you feel about asking questions, it just seems to me I should know everything instinctively. What an ego. I still drink sodas and don't seem any worse for the wear. I quit drinking coffee some years ago, it was keeping me awake at work. I heard that heating pads and diabetes was a no no. The oncology center that I go to has a resident masseuse and massage therapy is a part of their treatment regiment. They are also adding an acupuncturist next year when their new building is complete. Good luck with treatment and take care of yourself.

Donny

Annette,

Congratulations on not smoking! I think that's the single best thing you can do for your health. I quit on diagnosis too.

As far as healthy lifestyle, I think that most things in moderation are fine. I still drink a few cups of coffee every day, not so much soda anymore, but I try to work on lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, along with fat free dairy (calcium requirements, you know!). And I don't do a lot of fast food, junk food, candy, etc.

Every year when I go back to visit my lung surgeon, the primary issues we talk about are smoking, diet and exercise. He never fails to ask about all three and urges me to get as much exercise as time permits and keep my weight down.

I don't know anything about heating pads and massage, but I've never heard anything negative either. I just had my first ever massage a couple of months ago, and I thought it was wonderful!

Good luck to you,

Cindy

Another congrats on the not smoking. I haven't been much of a soda drinker for many years, and my coffee and tea became decaf a couple of years ago.

I do allow myself the sugar and caffeine of a carbonated drink sometimes at around mile 95 of a 125 mile bike ride. The sugar and caffeine are an energy level boost at that point, and I figure, hey, I'm doing a 125 mile bike ride, one soda can't undo too much of the good from that.

I don't have an answer for the heating pad question.

Hi Annette.

I think the use of a heating pad is just fine. As for the rest, anything we can do to be healthier can't hurt. But going crazy over it is probably a bit much. Everything in moderation, and have that darn cup of coffee. Just do the best you can and enjoy what you like. That's my opinion.

Sandra

Hi Annette,I quit smoking 3 years before my dx but I still have my 2 cups every morning. Im a real pain in the butt without my coffee to wake me up. My diet is pretty much the same as it always was but I added a cup of green tea,a spinach salad,a glass of 100% pomegranate juice and a glass of v8 juice everyday to my diet. I dont know if these things actually help prevent a recurrance or new cancer but I have read they do.