Mom starts tomorrow

cott01

HI!

My mom did Carbo/taxol and handled it pretty well. She never had a problem with nausea on this chemo. She would feel pretty good the day of the chemo and the day after. Then she would feel tired and achey for 2-3 days. After that she would rebound and be feeling pretty good by time for her nect treatment (every three weeks). She also got a neulasta shot the day after each treatment to keep her white blood cell count up. The shot geerally made her feel wrose than the cheno (achy in her bones). She lost her hair pretty quickly because of the taxol. Other than that she handled it all pretty well. I hope your mom does too. Make sure she drinks lots of water to keep her kidneys flushed.

Susan

I did six rounds of carbo/taxol/avastin but they gave me Amend for naseau. Day before, day of and day after. I did start getting naseau (never threw up tho) by the fourth day continuing for several days. The phenergen they gave me never worked. It just put me to sleep. If your Mom does get naseau, don't let her suffer with it. Ask for a script for zophran or zofran (spelling ?). The generic is a big long word that starts with "Od." It kicks naseau and doesn't make you sleepy.

Judy in Key West

All I'm doing is echoing what everyone else said. If Mom's tummy starts getting a tiny bit upset, don't wait, get the meds down. Meals might be a thing of the past they were with me. It really helped if I ate every couple of hours.

Dana

Mom did well with her treatment today. Thanks for all of the advice. We stopped and had lunch today on the way home. It was a lot for her though - she is already home sleeping :) It's a HUGE relief that treatment has begun. It has been a very long couple of weeks. Thanks again for the advice. She asked the dr about the amend too. Helps to be one step ahead.

Hi there. I am glad to hear that your mom's first treatment went well. I don't have any experience with that chemo mix but do know that everyone reacts differently. My words of advice are make sure she drinks lots even if she doesn't feel like eating. It helps get through it quicker. Take care

Sandra

Glad the treatment went well. The drowsiness is probably due to the Benadryl premed, assuming she got that (it's pretty standard). The widely reported fatigue usually doesn't kick in for a day or so, when the Decadron steroid premed (also rather standard) starts to wear off.

Dr. West has just posted a new video presentation on stage IIIa treatment options. It's packed with comparisons of the various treatments and moves rather fast, so after watching it you might want to download the printed transcript and images which have links just above the video window:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2009/07/20/ ... 2-vodcast/

Ned

Emend was in my anti-nausea meds, but it i was one expensive co-pay.

I did not have Benadryl, but I did have Decadron. I also had a couple of recommended or as needed anti-nausea drugs at home, and a little zofran at the hospital prior to treatment. Just saying, there are lots of variations on this. My chemo was also different.

I highly recommend keeping food in the belly, and plenty of fluid, along with whatever anti-nausea routine is recommended.

Hope it all goes easy.