Procrit

I've read some pretty scary stuff about it and they gave Gene a shot of it yesterday because his HGB was below 10. Has anyone had any experience with it? Are there other things I can do re food or supplement wise that would help without having to take this? They really seemed to push it saying if it were them they would do it BUT it isn't them and the more I read I have to wonder if they really would.

Procrit increases Red Blood cells. These are the energy boost cells. The White Blood cells are the other and they fight infection.

THe increase in Iron is 1 way to help but I amnot sure of amounts and what not though. Alos stidies and research have shown that Ginseng helps in cell production.

Here is a little reading on Ginseng first! Now weight loss reduction is also VERY IMPORTANT!!! so if you can fight weight loss thats also a good thing!

http://www.naturalnews.com/024975_ginse ... t_loss.htm

This is a link to an article that might interest you on types of foods to increase Iron in the body..

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=70

If you use supplements make sure to let your oncologist know this info also !!!!l

I had Procrit several times during my chemo for lc and had no ill effects. The difference was that I felt better, I had a little more energy.

The alternative I believe is a blood transfusion but as my insurance paid every time it wasn't an issue for me. I don't know what food or suplement would help instead.

Geri