Getting to Know You - Thursday, July 30

Ann

I think I'm about an 8...right there with Lil. There are a lot of things in my life that could be better but I'm not complaining, as I know there are so many people that have it so much worse than I do. I have a lot to be thankful for. For a long time, after losing Dennis, I was very bitter and felt as if God truly had it out for me. After a while, I learned to think of all the blessings I have and be thankful.

Sure, I could stand to have a job I enjoyed a bit more, but really who loves their job anyway?

I could stand to be richer, but everybody knows that money does not equal happiness.

I could stand to have fewer chores, but the truth is that I'm grateful to have the ability to do them.

I could stand to have fewer health issues, but I could certainly have more, so I'm grateful that I don't.

I could go on and on, but the truth is that the more time I spend thinking about life's horrors, the less time I have to smell roses and watch butterflies.

I absolutely ADORE my life!

The bills are paid, and I do have my health. NOt neessarily my sanity though!!

My parents are still going strong!

My facebook friends are the greatest. Ya know who YA are!!!

The job could give more hours but I have no control on that one yet.

Downside is my "Friend" In town is playing head games and I am tired of it!!! Gonna go back to being single again for a while!!

Maybe I will start going to Church some time soon!!

About an 8, I think. I'm not dissatisfied with anything. I'm very lucky that my cancer was caught as early as it was; I have a supportive hubby and adult children; a wonderful Golden Retriever; and an easy life here in FL. I don't have everything that I want, but enough not to complain

Muriel

I'd have to say my life is about a 50/50 proposition, so a middle line score of 5 for me.

I have so many wonderful things for which I'm thankful. I have a wonderful family and great friends. I was fortunately to be able to marry and experience a love affair unlike any I've ever known or dreamt of. And I'm grateful and lucky enough to have a wonderful and supportive husband now. And I have great support in my friends here.

But for all those good things in my life I still have so much that I struggle with.

I have a job that I can't stand, but am sort of stuck because I only know how to do one thing, and have a debt level that prohibits me from switching to an entry level new career that I'd enjoy. I was so blessed in my love life, but at the same time, I hurt every single day for what I've lost. I try not to think of it like that, but it's the truth. I miss him so much, and that hole never seems to get filled no matter what I try and fill it with. I still cry almost every day. Financially I struggle and barely understand how I somehow manage not only to be able to buy groceries, but also apparently enough to be overweight. And that is my final issue. I know I'm a good person, I'm not too stupid, I try to be caring and giving, and all. But I HATE the way I look. When I look in the mirror none of the internal things matter to me; I am filled with self loathing and disgust.

So basically I'm an emotional wreck.

Maybe a 4.. sometimes , I feel like I'm drowning . I can't forsee a better future. Money is running out, I have lots of debt , my health isn't good and I have no health insurance. no job, I'm heartbroken and lost without the love of my life, whom I lost 3 years ago and now I'm watching my mom fight this disease. What a whiner, I am.. I do need to make a list of all I am grateful for and see if I can't boost that 4 up a bit.

Sue

Ok Donny, in the interest of group optomism, I'll bump my 7 to an 8. I really don't have anything to complain about except a little homesickness right now. I have a loving supportive family and don't have to do much but try to stay healthy. That's been a big challenge this year. But like Donny said, there are so many people so much worse off than I am. Another group hug everyone.

Judy in Key West

I'll go along with that ((((((((((((((((((((BIG GROUP HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))).

I was a little hesitant about asking that question, for fear it would bring people down a little but now, I'm glad I did. I think each of us can now feel a wee bit better about our own problems, after hearing from some of our friends who are fighting some of life's battles much worse than our own.

Honestly, 8 was a bit overdone for me. I have so many of the same issues that others mentioned and rather than acknowledge them, I often to pretend that everything is alright and somehow think I can close my eyes, pull the covers over my head and make everything be better.

We're all here for each other and if life was picture perfect for any of us, we wouldn't be on this board. I want each of you to know that I think of you as friends and family and I pray that all OUR problems become few and far between.

For those of us with slightly lower scores, it's not like we stubbed our toes or can't find our favorite pair of shoes! We are dealing with a horrible nasty disease. So some days I'm a 1 and I even have a day or two when I'm an 8. But I'm not going to beat myself up when I'm only a 1! Some days I deserve to be a 1! Oh YEAH another thing!!!! Hugs definitely help :wink: !

Dana

I have a lot to be thankful for but I would say about 5 as I struggle each day to get through it. Just issues... with myself. Not satified with the way I look. Gaining weight, not excersizing and still on umemployment. Just doing nothing. Not even cleaning.... just at a stand still.

We are having a very busy summer with family and friends but I still feel that dread when I wake up. Maybe I should go for some help... I don't know...

Tomorrow is Joel's B-day... and I remember how excited we were last year when we heard it was a go for cyberknife... which we know turned out to be a huge success. So I'll put on my happy face and just get through the day.

Maryanne

Guest Windsongs

I am not doing well mentally or physically and am taking all the ((HUGS)) provided in the previous emails. shineladysue I am in your shoes as well and sometimes just wish my cancer would disappear.

How can I pick a number? A 2 sounds appropriate.

The support on this site has been amazing and thanks to all here that take their incredibly precious time to aid, love and support all us cancer survivors.

You know, I've been reading this thread and thinking about it since I chimed in yesterday and today my life has been everywhere from a 1 to an 8. I really think just about everyday goes like that for me. I can't stay perpetually happy, sad, mad, whatever. I just am too human I think. So to that end I say, have a whole day part of it is bound to be great.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGGSS))))))))))))))))))))