SCLC Recurrence?

ztweb

I posted this in general as well, so thanks if you have already responded.

OK...so how bizarre is this one....

Dad had a sectional surgery today where they were able to get everything from the "spot" they detected on the CT but that didn't light up on the PET.

Once tested they found that it was actually a granuloma (an inflammation in cells that looks like a "spot" on an xray but really is more of a reaction to some kind of infection....that once further tested had a small, tiny, teensy, nodule of Small Cell Lung Cancer in it. Grrrr. It was so small that it probably wouldn't even show up on a PET anyway.

So...now we have to wait to talk to Oncology again, as we have to decide what to do next...are there teensy, tiny little SCLC cells all over? That, of course, is the biggest concern, but they did say that when they took the lymph nodes in the sectional (the most common way that SCLC metasticizes) they tested totally clear...that is a good sign.

When discussing whether this is considered "recurrent" the decision was made that it would probably be treated as a new cancer as there hadn't been anything in the last three years.

So, while we are so very lucky to have results today and to have successful surgery, we are just very worried that SCLC might be back.

Anyone have this before??? Or anything like it?

Blessings to you all,

Jen

Hi Jen,

I know nothing much about SCLC. It sounds to me like you may have been quite fortunate and got what there was out before it had a chance to go anywhere else. But as I said...........I don't know much. What I really wanted to say is ~ sorry I seemed to miss all that has been happening. Somehow this LC just never lets us completely alone - EVER. At least for me, I know it is ALWAYS there just waiting to be bothersome and annoying and reminding me that things will not EVER be the way they were BC (Before Cancer.)

So for now I will do what I TRY to do so often ~ and that is hang onto the hope that things will turn out the way we want. After all, what else is there to do anyhow? I'm glad that you guys are right on top of things. I'll be thinking, praying, hoping, wishing (that sounds like a song, doesn't it?) that you get good news soon.

Kasey

Sorry Jen,

The only positive thing I can say is that it is great news that they are treating this as a "new" cancer rather then a reccurence. That is very good news! The fact that it is also so early is GREAT news! Cancer sucks and it is totally unfair that your dad and you have to go through this again. Prayers are on the way!

Dana