A Hall Pass Is Needed ...

Barb73

Hi, I need a Hall Pass for a while.

Our cat, Sammie, has been ill. Bill and I, after having taken her to two Vets (one emergency, and then to our regular Vet) received a diagnosis of UTI.

Having being administered heavy antibiotics, she's not eating and is losing weight. On the advice of our regular Vet, she has been in the hospital on IV fluids. We took her home this afternoon.

As a result of her not voluntarily eating, Sammie needs to be force fed wet foods, and that will probably take more than a few feedings per day. Time will be taken up with that for a while.

Bill is also going for his second infusion Monday, a CT scan (brain fluid) Tuesday, and will be very fatigued after the steroid in his system depletes (usually two days following).

Hoping all goes well.

Thanks for your patience. :)

Barbara

Understood Barbara. Pets put us through a lot, don't they? All worth it because we just love them so darn much. Hope Sammie is on the mend after all your TLC.

I'm hoping for the best for Bill with the CT scan and infusion. Hopefully the fatigue won't get the best of him. You'll be missed but thought of.

Kasey

Thank you for the good wishes. We had hoped we could have had success, but unfortunately, our lovely little pet died early Sunday morning. :cry:

Right now, I will get back to my need to find articles for anything relevant to lung cancer. That will continue now - whatever might be an advance, hopefully.

It is the one thing, over the years that has kept me somewhat steady. Just seeing anything that might change the course of this dreaded nemesis, seems to give me solace.

It has a calming affect on my thinking. Thankfully, it will help me through this sad patch. :(

Barbara

So sorry about Sammie, Barbara. The loss of a beloved pet is the price we pay for all they contribute to our lives - love, devotion, companionship, comfort........the list goes on and on. How sad the void we are left with after they are gone.

Kasey

Thank you all for reaching out to me at this time. Yes, we do become attached to our pets, and my heart is heavy having lost her :( . She was always there to sit beside me, and give/receive comfort.

Our other, older cat is searching around the house looking like a lost soul. We will be giving him a lot more attention.

Right now, I need to keep busy. It's what keeps me going. This disease can keep us occupied - in just "all the thinking that it produces."

Please know that you guys are fondly in my mind every day. I consider you my virtual family. I feel that you have kept me sane (well, almost :roll: ). I don't believe anyone is, ahem, completely sane. :)

Barbara

I just wanted to chime in here Barb and offer my condolences on the loss of your dear Sammie cat. These darling animals love us unconditionally. I'm glad so many of us give them a good home. Your in my thoughts during this difficult time. I have lost many wonderful little critters over the years.

They give us such great comfort. ((((Barb))))

Oh, Connie,

I go a little while without the tears, but they come in waves over me.

I loved that little cat so much. She helped me through all of this, and she is no longer here to come and sit by me for solace. Usually, I am not this self-absorbed.

I'm a mess. A lot of it has to do with everything else.

I drove Bill over today for his labs, and the doctor in charge was a substitute. He was and always has been a disappointment each time our doctor/oncologist has been on leave of some kind.

Flippant is the only word I can think of to discribe that individual. Bill had on red suspenders. The doctor said, "Why do fireman where red suspenders?" He then added, "I'm was not a fireman." I don't think he even knew that Bill put out fires in New York City during the sixties. What an idiot! He spent less than five minutes with us.

You know? I think they should give lessons in medical school on the fact that their patients are human beings. Can you imagine spending less than five minutes and making money like that? Wow.

By the way, I asked him if there was an appointment I should make for next week. He said, "Pick up the paper there when I leave." What? Our oncologist has the decency to hand it to us, and even make believe he cares.

I am beginning to think, there are few and far between that have any heart left. I'll bet they don't even look up the background of the patients. Obviously, they do NOT.

Today, this whole thing has taught me a giant lesson. All too many doctors are not very well trained in bedside manner. There should be a test of some kind to evaluate them when they are candidates for medical school.

We do not need cold fish. Too bad we are stuck with so many.

Forgive me, Connie, I have had a day from hell. You are so very kind to me, and here I am giving out hell and brimstone about my awful day. Shame on me.

I thank you, dear, for your support. You are and always have been, a most kind supporter of those on this site. I thank God for you and all who care.

May you always remain unchanged, kind, and giving. We all need that so badly.

Barbara

(((((Barb)))

I too missed this post earlier. I am so sorry about your beloved cat. Many years ago, I had two black cats. One lived to be 18, and the other, my beloved Christie, lived to be 19. I had to have them both put down because they were suffering. I swore I would never have another pet. Well, a couple days after my Christie died, I found a stray kitty at work. Of course, the thing climbed right up into my arms. I tried so hard not to take her home - wasn't going to do that again.

Now, 18 years later, she is very old and gave us a big fright right before Christmas. She is with me every day, sleeps with me at night, and is the sweetest cat in the world. I cannot begin to fathom how I will feel this time - they ARE so much a part of our families and they do love us unconditionally.

Anyway, I am so sorry - wish I could come over there and give you a real hug but I guess a cyber hug will have to do.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BARB)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Patti B.

Thank you for the cyber hugs. They were much needed.

My sister told me again of their loss of "Annie" (family cat) years ago and their eventual meeting "Lizzie" who came begging at their door. "Lizzie" likes to sit atop the grandfather clock. She has found a way to access and jump to great heights. :)

Friends told me of their pet losses, as well. I received phone calls from people who remembered their great losses of dogs, and even their memorialization of them.

This connection between pets and their humans is a very real bonding, which does not leave us ever. It's a testament to our being loved unconditionally by them, I am sure.

Our "Sammie" and "Pye" have seemed to be especially sensitive to our sad days, and were eager to curl up and give sweet purrings.

The price for that love is the deep loss we feel when they leave our company to join the "Rainbow Bridge." :(

Barbara

Barbara, I don't know how I missed this earlier. But yes, I do after looking at the calendar. That was the week I was getting a bunch of extra tests to see what was going on inside, and I was on the verge of feeling uncharacteristically sorry for myself.

I think you know how our family feels about pets, and I'm sure you'll understand when I tell you that in our living room we have urns with the ashes of Kiji, a most uncommon common cat who adopted us when we first moved into this house and lived with us for 18 years, and the ashes of Hannah Kula Ho'aloha ("Golden Companion"), who passed on in 2007. It can take a long time to fill the void that seems to hover just out of reach. Blessings and Aloha,

Ned