Thanks and Tarceva

I want to thank everyone for the nice, warm welcome as well as for all the kind words. I can already see that you are a great bunch of folks here.

I've been reading posts here and I do feel rather lucky right now that my Dad is still able to pretty much do things for himself. I am only making it easier for him by doing all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. He is very weak but takes care of his personal basic needs at this time. I don't go anywhere though, I do stay right here with him because I worry so much about him.

I do have a question though if anyone is familar with this. My Dad is taking Tarceva. Has only been on it for 2 weeks. His co-payment after Humana pays is $2305.09. This is actually slightly more than his monthly income. We did get assistance from something called Chronic Disease Fund. They will pay out $6000.00. This gets us through the 2 months that he needs to be on this medication prior to testing to see if it's holding the cancer at bay. My question is, does anyone know of other types of assistance for drugs? I can not believe that this medication is so expensive. If it's working for my Dad of course we will want to continue on it. I've given up my paycheck to be here with him. I hate to think that we will need to charge this amount each month for him to have this medication, but maybe this is something common and I am just not aware of what people go through to get treatment. Anyway, I was just wondering about this.

I hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. It's a nice sunny day here in Missouri.

Debra

See if these Help at all!!!

http://www.tarceva.com/patient/copay/index.jsp

http://www.genentechaccesssolutions.com ... /index.jsp

http://www.drugcoverage.org/Tarceva/English/default.asp

Let me know if You need anything!!! Glad to help out. Best of luck and Hope Dad is doing ok right now. You may also want to check and see if your oncologist does a type of program where he might be able to get you some that someone else turned in. It is not completely uncommon for a Patient to pass away with meds left and they are donated to the Oncologist for someone else that might need the financial assistance. I did this when my wife passed away and was able to help some one else who needed some!!

"michellep"]It's my understanding that Medicare covers the costs of Tarceva. At least I hope so.....we might be starting it ourselves.

It is not covered the way IV chemos are, it would be covered under Part D, which could entail a large sum of money when you hit the 'donut hole', and given that the retail cost of Tarceva is $4000 or so, that would be with the first month.

Hope this might be of help. Rich

HELPFUL RESOURCES: THE COSTS OF CANCER TREATMENT CAN QUICKLY BECOME OVERWHELMING, EVEN IF YOU HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE. PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS ARE OFFERED BY VARIOUS COMPANIES, NONPROFITS AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO HELP PATIENTS WITH LITTLE OR NO INSURANCE GET ACCESS TO DRUGS AND MONEY FOR OTHER EXPENSES.

IF YOU’RE INTERESTED IN ENROLLING IN A PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, YOU MUST FIRST GATHER INFORMATION, USUALLY FROM YOUR DOCTOR OR THE MAKER OF THE SPECIFIC DRUG YOU’RE TAKING FOR WHICH YOU NEED ASSISTANCE. A DOCTOR MUST BE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS BECAUSE THE PHYSICIAN WRITES THE PRESCRIPTION FOR THE MEDICATION.

MANY PATIENT ASSISTANCE APPLICATIONS WILL REQUIRE PROOF OF INCOME, INCLUDING TAX RETURNS, SOCIAL SECURITY INCOME, INTEREST AND RETIREMENT TO PROVE FINANCIAL BURDEN AND TO MEET INCOME REQUIREMENTS. FAXING THE INFORMATION OFTEN SPEEDS UP THE PROCESS. IN ADDITION TO MANY STATE GOVERNMENTS, NUMEROUS ORGANIZATIONS PROVIDE INFORMATION ON PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS, INCLUDING THE ONES LISTED BELOW.

AMGEN REIMBURSEMENT CONNECTION

800-272-9376

WWW.AMGEN.COM/PATIENTS/ASSISTANCE.HTML

FOR PATIENTS WHO ARE UNINSURED OR UNDERINSURED AND WHO HAVE LIMITED FINANCIAL RESOURCES; BASED ON INSURED STATUS AND INCOME LEVEL. DRUGS IN THIS PROGRAM INCLUDE ARANESP® (DARBEPOETIN ALFA) AND NEULASTA® (PEGFILGRASTIM).

BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB PATIENT ASSISTANCE FOUNDATION

800-736-0003

WWW.BMSPAF.ORG

ESTABLISHED TO PROVIDE TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE TO PATIENTS WITH FINANCIAL HARDSHIP WHO GENERALLY HAVE NO PRIVATE PRESCRIPTION DRUG INSURANCE AND ARE NOT ENROLLED IN A PRESCRIPTION DRUG COVERAGE PLAN THROUGH MEDICAID OR ANY OTHER FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL HEALTH PROGRAM.

CANCERCARE

800-813-4673

WWW.CANCERCARE.ORG/GET_HELP/ASSISTANCE

CANCERCARE’S FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM PROVIDES LIMITED GRANTS FOR CERTAIN EXPENSES RELATED TO TREATMENT.

GENENTECH’S SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT

888-249-4918

WWW.SPOCONLINE.COM

AVASTIN EXPENDITURE CAP: 800-232-2717]

A REIMBURSEMENT RESOURCE FOR GENENTECH PRODUCTS THAT PROVIDES INFORMATION TO PATIENTS AND THEIR HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS.

GLAXOSMITHKLINE’S COMMITMENT TO ACCESS

866-265-6491

WWW.COMMITMENTTOACCESS.GSK.COM

PROVIDES OUTPATIENT MEDICATIONS TO ELIGIBLE LOW-INCOME PATIENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE PRESCRIPTION DRUG BENEFITS.

LILLY CARES

800-545-6962

WWW.LILLYCARES.COM

PROVIDES TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE TO PATIENTS OBTAINING LILLY OR DISTA MEDICATION.

MERCK'S ACT PROGRAM

866-363-6379

HTTP://WWW.EMEND.COM/APREPITANT/EMEND/C ... /INDEX.JSP

ACT IS A TWO-PART PROGRAM SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO ASSIST INSURED PATIENTS WITH INSURANCE REIMBURSEMENT ISSUES, AND TO PROVIDE PRODUCT SUPPORT FOR THOSE QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS LACKING COVERAGE FOR EMEND® (APREPITANT).

PARTNERSHIP FOR PRESCRIPTION ASSISTANCE

888-477-2669

WWW.PPARX.ORG

OFFERS A SINGLE POINT OF ACCESS TO MORE THAN 275 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS.

PATIENT ADVOCATE FOUNDATION'S CO-PAY RELIEF

866-512-3861

WWW.COPAYS.ORG

PROVIDES DIRECT FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO QUALIFIED PATIENTS TO ENABLE THEM TO AFFORD CO-PAYMENTS REQUIRED BY THEIR INSURANCE. OFFERS PERSONAL SERVICE TO ALL PATIENTS THROUGH CALL COUNSELORS.

PFIZER’S FIRSTRESOURCE

877-744-5675

WWW.PFIZERHELPFULANSWERS.COM

FIRSTRESOURCE PROVIDES PRODUCTS TO ELIGIBLE, LOW-INCOME, UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED PATIENTS.

RXASSIST AND RX OUTREACH PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS

WWW.RXASSIST.ORG

OFFERS ASSISTANCE TO PATIENTS WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION DRUG COVERAGE WHO MEET INCOME REQUIREMENTS.

RX HOPE

877-979-4673

WWW.RXHOPE.COM

OFFERS INFORMATION ON ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS FROM VARIOUS PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES; OFFERS AN ASSISTANCE FINDER, WHICH MATCHES PATIENT INFORMATION AGAINST AVAILABLE FEDERAL, STATE AND CHARITABLE PRESCRIPTION DRUG PROGRAMS.

SANOFI-AVENTIS’S PACT PLUS

800-996-6626

HTTP://ONCOLOGY.SANOFI-AVENTIS.US/REIMBURSEMENT.DO

OFFERS REIMBURSEMENT SERVICES AND PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS FOR MOST PRODUCTS INCLUDING TAXOTERE® (DOXETAXEL) AND ELOXATIN® (OXALIPLATIN INJECTION).

SCHERING-PLOUGH’S COMMITMENT TO CARE PROGRAM

800-521-7157

WWW.SCHERING-PLOUGH.COM/SCHERING_PLOUGH ... T_CARE.JSP

PROVIDES FREE CANCER MEDICATIONS THROUGH PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS TO PEOPLE WITH LOW INCOMES WHO DO NOT HAVE PRESCRIPTION DRUG COVERAGE.

TOGETHER RX ACCESS

800-444-4106

WWW.TOGETHERRXACCESS.COM

ASSISTANCE FOR PATIENTS WHO ARE INELIGIBLE FOR MEDICARE, HAVE NO PRESCRIPTION DRUG COVERAGE AND MEET HOUSEHOLD INCOME AND AGE REQUIREMENTS.

Debra Ann, This is one of the "conditions" of my Hall Pass. I'm willing to risk a computer hang up to chime in here. One of Randy's links was Genetech. I'm assuming they market Tarceva? If so, you can go on their website and download forms for the drugs for which they offer assistance. You'll have to check and see if Tarceva is one of them. If so, that method involves getting your doctor to participate in the application. The best way, however, is the manner in which I got my Avastin ($30,000 a pop every three weeks). The hospitals sometimes have a patient representative who does this directly with the pharmaceutical company. I would definitely check this out first. It was a godsend for us.

Judy in Key West

Yes, Genetech is one of the companies involved in Tarceva and YES, they do have a program to help fund it. My sister got the forms from her doctor to apply for assistance, though so far she hasn't needed to. They will also help fight with an insurance company to get it covered if you need that help. That is what her doctor told us, again we didn't need to look further into it so I'm not speaking from personal experience. He told us that if your insurance won't cover it, they will try and help you get it covered. Then they have a charitable arm of the company that will help you if the co-pay is too much for you or if you could not get it covered. There were income limits of course. But it is definitely something worth looking into. Randy linked to the page in his first post.

And Rich, WOW, what a comprehensive post of links for assistance. I'm going to have to save that one to my computer, for future reference!

I don't know if your dad has medicare part D, but I found out this morning that it will be covered for my husband if we decide to use it. They said all they will need is for the doctors office to process a "pre authorization". Boy, was I happy to hear that because as many of you know I'm constantly running into a brick wall when we try to get things done with the insurance company. But then, after all the times I have tortured them during their denials, I believe I have a reputation over there. When they hear my name I can only imagine the looks on their faces! LOL :D

You guys are just amazing! Thanks for ALL the info. I am sooooooo praying that this Tarceva is and will hold this cancer at bay for my Dad. If it does, we will definitely need to seek some additonal help for the coverage of this drug. I simply did not realize that treatment was so expensive. After reading the brick walls some of you have been up against, I can't help but wonder how many folks just threw their hands up in the air and said the heck with it. Or more sadly, how many folks are out there without any help to make these calls or file forms. Gosh there must be a solution somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! I guess I should've asked this same question a while ago. Mom has been struggling SO MUCH through the financial challenges. Only recently did Genetech finally come through and said they'd pay for her Avastin. But Mom has Blue Cross and her doctor has learned to HATE them. He can't stand what they will NOT do for their patients. When Mom first started having these horrible headaches 2-3 months ago, Blue Cross wouldn't approve her MRI. Her oncologist pushed and pushed, explaining (as if BC didn't already know) that major headaches could be a sign of cancer in the brain. Finally they approved it (3 weeks later) and sure enough, mets were found in her brain. UGH! I get SO MAD at the insurance companies.

But this information in this post is amazing!!! I can't wait to print it all out & go over it all with Mom. THANK YOU everyone!

WOW! I guess I should've asked this same question a while ago. Mom has been struggling SO MUCH through the financial challenges. Only recently did Genetech finally come through and said they'd pay for her Avastin. But Mom has Blue Cross and her doctor has learned to HATE them. He can't stand what they will NOT do for their patients. When Mom first started having these horrible headaches 2-3 months ago, Blue Cross wouldn't approve her MRI. Her oncologist pushed and pushed, explaining (as if BC didn't already know) that major headaches could be a sign of cancer in the brain. Finally they approved it (3 weeks later) and sure enough, mets were found in her brain. UGH! I get SO MAD at the insurance companies.

But this information in this post is amazing!!! I can't wait to print it all out & go over it all with Mom. THANK YOU everyone!

After only 3 weeks on Tarceva, and after all my financial concerns surrounding obtaining this drug, my Dad's doctor stopped this form of treatment. In the 3 weeks of taking it he lost 12 more pounds. He was so nauseated. His doctor wanted to see if after stopping the Tarceva if his appetite would return. During this visit I did discuss with his doctor that he had become very confused. He was very off balanced as well. We had an MRI done to see if there's any problems with the cancer and his brain. I get those results this week. Well I can not believe how well my Dad is now doing. He seems to be acting normal again. Can once again get up on his own. He's eating. Not large amounts but eating. Now I am truly wondering if the Tarceva was creating all of these problems. Anyway, I'm hoping for a good report on Thursday but prepared for any news they throw at us. Just wanted to check in and wish everyone a Marvelous Monday!