Getting to Know You - Tuesday, August 25

Ann

First of all, I have to ask where this month has gone? It seems like it was just August 1st a couple of days ago. Is time flying by quickly for everyone or is it just happening to me? I do remember that my mom used to tell me that older you become, the faster time flies by you. I do believe her words, now that I'm getting older!!!

Now, for the question......

What is your favorite kind of pickles? No the name brand but the type of pickle itself?

Good Morning! A friend and I had been talking about the "older you get the faster time flys", her theory was when you are 5 yrs old, one year is 20% of your life, where being 50 yrs old it's only a .02% of your life, so the older you get the faster time seems to move.

BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES!!!!

Dana

I agree, time flies by way too fast. I remember being a kid and wishing the years would go faster so I could be older. Now that I'm older I wish time would slow down, or better yet reverse so I could be younger.

I'm a simple girl and will take a Kosher Dill any day. Although my husband's grandma makes these fabulous homemade dill pickles with spicy peppers in the brine so the pickles have a kick of hot zing and those are AWESOME. Those are my favorites!!!!

I hate pickles. Love the sound of them when others are eating them, but hate the smell and the taste.

The nuns used to yell at us when we were all "I wish it was Christmas break..I wish it was summer....I wish I was in 8th grade..." They would tell us to stop wishing our life away. They were right. :) So...... I wish I was in 8th grade. ;)

Boy does time fly :!: Yes Sue I have so many projects going all of the time and just seem to never have enough time in the day for all that I want to do. It doesn't just seem like it should be the first of August it seems like it should be somewhere in the 80s or even earlier.

I love pickles of all kinds but a couple of years ago my cousin introduced me to some and now I am addicted to them. You make them from Dill pickles. Buy a gallon of dill pickles and slice them into slices about 1/8 inch thick. Wash them a few times to remove some of the dill on the outside then put them back into the jar with 1/2 teaspoon powdered alum. Make a syrup of 2 cups white vinigar and 7 cups of sugar and pour over pickles. By that night they will start to get sweet and after a few days yum yum. They are sweet pickles but there is just that very faint taste of dill you want to just keep eating them so you can make sure it is the dill you taste. You can also add a couple of peppers to give them a little kick or red hot candies.

If anyone tries these let me know how you like them.

I love pickles!!! I love dill pickles probably the best and the crunchier the better. But, I love sweet pickles, too. When I have a grilled cheese sandwich, I have to have sweet pickle sliced on the side. Hubby introduced me to Mrs. Fannings sweet pickles and they're wonderful.

But....I really love FRIED DILL PICKLES!!!

Lil...I definitely am going to try your recipe. It sounds really good. I think I might want to add the pepper and kick 'em up a notch, as Emeril would say.

Love my peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.. Yeah I know sounds gross but don't knock til ya try it!!!! :lol::lol::lol: I buy the big jars and can kill one in about a week that way!!!

I agree with Sue and Lily. I have all these projects I intended to do yesterday after I retired in Dec 06. Time keeps marching on and I don't even start them. I'm honestly glad this spring and summer are almost gone. They were none of my best days. Now the Fall and Winter could shift into snail mode but bet it doesn't.

I always loved Kosher pickles best but bread and butter pickles were right up there. My husband kind of influenced a shift in favor of bread and butter, particularly the ones sliced longways now to fit on a sandwich better. And I never used to put pickles on a sandwhich! But Dawn, my Aunt on the farm used to make those b&b pickles from home-grown cucumbers. Nothing better.

Judy in Key West