Update on my mother

kimblanchard

Last Wed. my mother went for her regular appt. and again was unable to do chemo because of low blood count and platelets. She went over to the hospital and had both transfusions. After her stay overnight my dad went to bring her home and her feet and legs were so swollen (they had been for about 4 weeks) she could no longer feel her feet and she was no longer able to stand. Somehow we got her home and into her bed-now not able to get out. Later that day she had shortness of breath and we heard gurgling in her breathing. We called the Dr. immediately and he called Hospice (who we were waiting to talk to anyway) and they did an emergency visit. They put her on oxygen and gave her liquid morphine to help with her breathing.

The next morning after not being about to move her because of pain and shortness of breath we called the Hospice nurse to come to the house to help us. She said that they had a room avail. for her and recommended us to come because of it being Fri. and not being able to get quick help over the weekend. We finally agreed it was the best thing to do-my mother agreed. Now they have her on a morphine pump and she is in comatose state. She is unable to talk or respond because of the level of morphine. She is no longer eating or drinking. All we are doing is keeping her comfortable.

I can't believe how things changed overnight. I feel helpless. We are just waiting around for her to die.......I don't understand. I do know that we had no choice because we knew her days of chemo were over and her cancer had progressed. I can't stand how drugged up she is but I don't think we had a choice because of her pain and shortness of breath.

I go to see her everyday and have read all of the booklets on dying and telling her it's okay to let go... we have done all of that. This whole thing is just wrong! But I will say that during my mothers illness since Sept. 19th we had become so close and said all of the things we were unable to say for the longest time, so I have total peace within myself and I believe my mother does also.

Kim

Kim, My heart goes out to you and your family. I have been where you are now and it is very sad and hurts like he//////.

The morphin is suppose to help with the breathing as I understood for that to happened to my brother. He didn't have pain, but the breathing was so bad.

Just sit by your mom's side and hold her hand and talk with her for she will hear you even though she may not react. Your love shines through to her. God be with all of you.. Love.

Kim,

I am so sorry you have to face this at this time of year (or ANY time of year). Please know that there are people here who are praying for you and your Mom that she and you both find Peace. I lost my Mom 11 years ago and I remember the last few days as the hardest. I, like you, did have the chance to "make things right" with my Mom before she passed on and I will always treasure that. We both knew that we truly loved each other and would be together again one day.

God Bless you and your family.

MO

Kim,

I am so saddened by the news of your mother. Ditto what Norme said. Sit with her, talk to her, touch her, and just let her know she is not alone. Not now or forever more.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

May you find peace that you did the right thing for you wonderful mother.

I wish you enough,

Much love,

Shirley

So sorry for your sorrow. My father passed away one year ago from Lung Cancer. We had Hospice the last two weeks of his life, he was at home. Just to let you know he was not drugged up at all but he did go into an almost comotose state where he did not drink or eat for the last days. We were told that that was the bodies way of transitioning into a different state. I also was able to get very close to my father during his illness and we talked of things that we had never discussed before and I felt at peace when he passed. At the end he always seemed to be reaching for someone and I am certain that there were departed relatives around him helping him cross. He died at home in peace and for that I am grateful.

"Guest", just want to let you know that your story is almost identical to mine. Dad and I talked about private things we'd never discussed before. I had a chance to tell him that it's okay to go when the time comes. I cannot thank the Lord enough for the time we had together before he died, at home, where he wanted to be. Peace to you and yours during this beautiful season, Teresa