A Little Update about Me

Patti B

Hi everyone-

Just thought I would update whats going on in my life.

As some of you may remember, I had a horrible CAT scan on July 1st that showed quite a bit of progression so on July 2nd, they gave me my first dose of Gemzar. The following week, I had a precautionary MRI of the brain which unfortunately showed three small mets. So they had to stop the chemo and I had 15 rounds of whole brain.

I was freaking over that, and of course of losing my hair again. I think I focused a lot on the hair thing because I didn't want to admit what was really bothering me. The first day of radiation - I had a melt down. What would become of me??? Would I still be me or would I be someone else?? What long term effects would I have??? Would I lose so much short term memory??? Just the words whole brain radiation sound horrid.

Well, the radiation went off without a hitch. Only two days that I slept a little more than usual. I did have to be put on decadron for some headaches and earaches but nothing that I couldn't handle. Of course I lost all my hair and my head is sunburned. I have been done with the radiation for two weeks and I feel great!!!

So then last week they called and said I could start back to chemo this Monday but wanted me to have a baseline CAT scan. Once again, I began to panic. 8 weeks of no chemo after having a terrible scan and only one dose of a 6th line chemo agent..........crap.........I was so worried about liver mets, etc. What are the chances of nothing going wrong here. And I have this habit (my PA calls me weird) that when I feel good I have a bad scan, and when I feel awful I have a good one - who knows why!!!

Well.......I must have an angel somewhere. CAT scan showed only a tad bit of progression in my right lung, none in my left, AND - shrinkage in my lymph nodes!!!! How can that be???? Not that I am complaining, but there must have been someone, something, looking out for me this time!!! I guess I better not refer to Gemzar as some lowly 6th line chemo agent anymore, huh????

I hope everyone is having as good a week as I am - cause I can't stop smiling!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Oh boy Patti, what an emotional roller coaster. I am so VERY happy to hear that your scans were so good, and more importantly you are feeling great after your WBR.

I am sure that there are so many people facing the same treatments ahead that will read your post and find comfort knowing that you faced those demons head on, and came through them without a hitch, and they can too. That they are not alone in those thoughts and feelings. I remember Keith had the same fears before going into WBR. As well as fears of there being "something in his head" to begin with. His biggest fear was whether he'd still be himself, and whether he'd even know or not if he changed. he really didn't want to become mean or hurtful to me and the people he loved, which he heard sometimes can happen with brain tumors.

It is great to see that you are here, unchanged, and the same sweet Patti we all love. This is such great news!

Patti,

This is terrific news. Earl had that WBR right after he had brain surgery. Of course he lost his hair, but I think that is different for a man. But he really had no long lasting effects other than a little dizziness.

The news from your CAT scan is wonderful. You must be flying high. It sounds like your doctors are very thorough.

Ok, what college is Nick going to?

Well good for you, Patti. That sounds like a great report and greater yet that you are feeling well. I understand the worry, anxiety, and yes ~ even torment we all go through here. I hope we can all keep our eyes on the prize and remember that there ARE those who beat the odds ~ yes ~ even Stage IV, and hang around to pester the rest of us for many years. For some reason, I just have that vibe when I read your updates, Patti. I sure expect you to be around getting into some kind of trouble for a LONG long time. and I'd be glad to be right there beside you doing it. I hope you continue doing so great!

Kasey

Ginny-

We don't know yet. We will be going college shopping this year.

When I was first dx'd, that was the goal to see Nick graduate from HS. I think thats why Judy said now maybe college, too. And of course, if I am lucky enough to make that HS graduation, I will want more and more and more!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Patti,

Add in my two thumbs up, as well. I think that will give you four. :lol:

What good news. The WBR hasn't done anything scarily untoward to Bill either (knocking on wood/my head), and his was more than 2 years ago.

You go girl, and get to as many future graduations as you wish. Don't forget there's Graduate School, as well. :D

Keep that spirit going. We love all that spunk going for us here at LCSC.

Patti,

Great news!!!!!!!. from me and the rest of the Bald is Beautiful bunch (whoever they maybe, past and present).

I have had some ear congestion(feeling like they are clogged up like with a cold) and a little hearing loss (temporary I hope). As far as cognitive problems, I started noticing that right after chemo, so I can't attribute that to PCI (which WBR as well). And headaches, of course. I have stepped down off of my steriods so that may be the reason for the headaches.

I am so glad you got a good scan and report. Now you can enjoy yourself without the worry. Sending prayers that chemo goes as smoothly for you.

Dawn