Introducing myself

sclcsurvivor

Hi, welcome to the group! I'm also a Vietnam vet, with 21 years Air Force active duty 1957-1978. I've never looked into VA disability — I always assumed that the maladies I picked up in recent years (Meniere's Disease in 1995, lung cancer in 2006) had no chance of being declared service related since for the first 10 years after retirement from the Air Force I flew for local airlines and had to pass an FAA Class I medical exam every 6 months. I wonder if I'm missing something...

You've done really great with your treatment, and from what I've read it was very smart of you to get the PCI. Keep us posted, and please help us greet the other new members who join our ranks every week. Most of them could certainly use a positive story like yours. Aloha,

Ned

Welcome, sclcsurvivor! I just missed Vietnam, serving in the Army from 1971 to 1973. You'll find a great bunch of folks here, with all kinds of experiences, who are also good listeners.

Welcome aboard. My husband is a Vietnam Vet, does that count?

Our local lung cancer group has several SCLC survivors that are over 6-8 yrs. Wishing you this great response to chemo.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hello and Welcome

I am glad you joined us, and also very happy to read about your remission and survivorship. We have a fantastic group of very caring, supportive, knowledgeable and plain ole fun people here... but we can always use more!

I look forward to getting to know a bit more about you.

Hello and a warm welc :) me to you,

You have come to a very supportive community of survivors, caregivers, and their loved ones.

(My kid brother, Donald, was a Vietnam Vet.)

So glad that you are in remission. You couldn't have arrived at a better place than LCSC. :D

Barbara

Reese

You are definitely eligible for VA disability benefits. Any veteran who served at least 1 day in Nam and has respiratory cancer is eligible. There are a wide array of benefits that accompany a disability award. You need:

*Proof of Vietnam Service - DD214

*Proof of respiratory cancer - Letter from doctor, biopsy results, scan results.

Highly recommend you use a representative to assist with the claim. I used the TN VA representative in my home town.

Need to move fast since the disability date will be the date the VA recieves your first claim.

Will help anyway I can.

Happy Day

Cecil

Cecil wrote:

You are definitely eligible for VA disability benefits. Any veteran who served at least 1 day in Nam and has respiratory cancer is eligible.

Thanks, Cecil! I knew about Agent Orange, but never dreamed I'd be eligible since my forward operating location was in Thailand and I was flying over North Vietnam. My only time in or over South Vietnam was a week I spent in Saigon when I delivered an airplane to our "sister squadron." But I went to the VA website and see the eligibility is quite liberal, and even a brief visit to Vietnam during those years is qualifying. I'm on it, and thanks again.

Ned