Question for Those Who Have Had Blood Clots

Barb73

First, I was surprised today when I arrived at the hospital, and they told us that Bill would be going home.

They decided to let me do the injections of Lovanox. Of course, I did one on him before I left the room. Instead of "watching," I told the nurse I needed to actually do it with her overseeing it.

When I got home, I received an email from a very old friend who lost her husband recently from cancer.

She told me that he had a PE (pulmonary embolism) in his lung and was put on Lovanox. Also, they stopped his chemotherapy treatments and she felt that the hiatus from that treatment was what allowed the cancer to grow, and the eventual demise.

What I was wondering - Do they always stop treatment while on blood thinners? The answer is probably yes. I just needed to come here and unload the wondering.

Bill is home and will be going Monday for labs to check the levels.

You would think after all this time, I would be more adjusted to all of this roller coaster ride. I guess not.

Barbara

Barb-

I had a clot in my leg last year and had to give myself those lovely shots in my abdomen and am still on Coumadin. It did NOT affect me getting any of my chemos.

I get a INR (coumadin level) every week and they have NEVER cancelled a chemo treatment no matter if the level is high or low. Unfortunately, everything you eat will affect your level, and if he gets decadron with chemo, that will affect it too.

Good luck to you both and hope Bill is feeling better soon.

Hugs - Patti B.

Oh, Patti, I think I am in love with you.

Thank you so much for giving me that reply, and so quickly.

I had just come down from the bedroom after having given Bill the injection, and thought maybe someone might have answered.

It was good to get a response because it gives me a chance to have a reason for hope.

Thank you dear heart. :D

Barbara

My husband also is on Coumadin and it has not stopped his chemo at all. My heart goes out to you dear one...you have you're hands full right now I know, but I also know from reading all your posts that you are a very strong woman and I wish both you and your husband nothing but good news from here on.

Michelle

Thank you, Michele and Bud,

I have a better footing this morning. It took the wind out of me (the whirlwind of the past two days) but now am on firmer ground.

Having been able to come here has given me a link to knowledgeable and experienced people. :)

Whew, I feel so much better, actually.

Barbara

Tom had a blood clot too but his was found on the first scan after treatment was completed. His is in his thoraci aorta. He was put on plavix as he refused coumadin. That was about a year ago. He remains on the plavix and the latest scan shows it is still there but much much smaller.

Glad to hear that Bill is back home.

(((((Barb)))))

Denise

Thanks for info, Denise. It always helps to know that someone has dealt with this in a successful manner.

Glad Tom's clot is getting smaller. That is very good to know.

I received the report back from the CT scan that revealed a concern with a PE, but the clue seems to be the clots in the legs which are indicative of perhaps (maybe) a small one in the lung. Don't really know for sure. The meds should take care of both areas, hopefully.

I will update when I read the CT scan report again which told me about the growth of any nodes, etc. I know there is some growth, but will know more on Monday, when we see the oncologist.

Barbara

I started using Lovenox in May 2002, after lc chemo and high D-Dimmer (coagulation) #'s have kept me on it since.

It was thought that my port was giving off small clots to begin with but the normal range 0-500 was always way off mine (my highest reading was 2300). This week my D-Dimmer was 586 which is the lowest ever and I'm still giving myself those daily shots.

During the time I've been on Lovenox I've had 3 surgeries (shots were stopped beforehand) and chemo for my breast cancer. When I developed clots during my congestive heart failure last year my Lovenox dose was doubled. The clots in my jugular vein and arm were disolved with no problem and I went back to my normal dose - 60ml.

As long as drs and dentists know you're taking it Lovenox doesn't seem to hamper anything........except getting used to the needle in the belly and the price! :shock::shock:

Hope all works out well

Geri

Hi Barb,

I don't have any experience with blood clots, but my husband was on Lovenox for his SVC syndrome and swelling in his limbs. He did not miss a single chemo treatment while on it.

I'll keep you and Bill both in my prayers that the Lovanox zaps those clots and that it doesn't delay any of his treatments.

Take Care

Geri,

That was very interesting that you were on the Lovenox for so long.

Here I was thinking that it was a monumental thing that has occurred with us. This is why these boards are so important. When someone is alone and thinking, the thoughts tend to narrow and isolate.

Your experience with it has given me the hope that even if Bill were to be fortunate to continue with "some" kind of therapy, this med would not be an impediment to it. Just thinking here - not taking anything for granted, of course.

Thank you, Geri. :D

Barbara

Thank you, Carleen, for the prayers and for the good wishes.

That information about Lovenox not stopping any of your husband's treatments is one more in the OK column.

Here's hoping. May Monday bring us some options of what can be done for Bill.

I will update to let everyone know.

Barbara

Actually, Susan, I don't know what the *ell I am doing. :D

But.....when I come here and put it in writing, the wheels begin to turn and my mind becomes very alive and kicking.

I may be old (74 1/2), but I am not passive.

Unfortunately, the pulmonologist did a number on Bill while in the hospital (btw, a really sweet and lovely guy he is) BUT he had to delve into the smoking issue. "How many packs? How many years?"

Whaaaat? My reply was ... when Bill began smoking (the cigarettes were dropped from planes in Korea by our government), and the doctors were actually endorsing their use in ads.

So...Susan, I come with baggage. They used to call it *iss and vinegar. lol

Thank you, dear, for your vote of confidence. This place here at LCSC is just the most fantastic place.

God bless us all.

This is my bullwark against that nemesis called cancer.

Barbara

Barb,

I have no answers and nothing to add that would be helpful to you, but I do have something I would like to say.. I want to thank you for bringing your concerns to the forum and presenting them in such a way that it invites very informative responses. Your questions and answers are certainly a gift to others and that is a big part of what this wonderful place is about. As always, you and Bill remain in my prayers. Will be checking in to see how Bill is doing and of course you too.. You are an amazing lady. Bill is certainly blessed to have you.

Hugs and Prayers,

Sue

Sue,

I have learned so much from being here at the boards. It has to do with the experiences people have - whether they be the same or not - including the empathy. It's comforting to know that we are not alone and can source things.

There have been so many times over the years with this disease when we have seen those who have gone it alone. A lone individual, sitting for their infusions without a family member is a sad thing to see.

On the other hand, talking with family about some things is fine, but there are wonderful families (mine, for instance) where one cannot go to certain "places." This board provides that.

It will be a sad day if we cannot have any place to go to unload our cares. Sometimes, with family, one needs to keep the stiff upper lip, smile often, and don't mention certain concerns.

Thank you for your prayers, Sue. Personally, I value prayer deeply. I have been the recipient of much through prayer - the supplications of others, and my own. The length of time that we have been here existing with this is testament to that. :)

Barbara

Barb - just want to add that my thoughts and prayers are with you and Bill. We've had a couple of those instances discussing cigarettes, and it's frustrusting. Glenn is 59, and nobody thought twice about cigs when he started smoking. Tried everything to quit too, including hypnosis. It really gets me going.

ANd I believe a little *iss and vinegar is a good dietary supplement! LOL

Let's keep finding ways to laugh. It makes the roller coaster so much more bearable!

Kathleen

Kathleen,

That was my Mother's name (Kathleen :) ). My father used to sing, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen..."

to her. We kids used to giggle at that when we were little - in the forties.

Well, you are right, of course, humor is the best medicine, and inbetween the dips of that roller coaster, we try to keep the laughter going. :lol:

Kathleen, and all, Bill and I went for the follow up visit after having been released from the ER and on Warfarin (coumadin 1x a day) and lovenox injections (2 x a day).

They will be calling us in two days to regulate any necessary changes to that regimen.

The oncologist said that he would give Bill the treatment today because the chest is stable. He wants to look into something for the neck node, and he ordered a scan of the shoulder (scapula) to see what could be done to alleviate that pain.

My heart is lighter - not completely at ease, but looking toward something hopeful.

Everyone's prayers worked. Bill took me out to lunch today following the treatment. He had his favorite, salmon and mashed potatoes with a gravy.

Today, we found that he had gained 3 lbs. I guess all that hospital food did good for him.

Thank you so much everyone, and to you Kathleen, we count on prayer and we received a bounty of sorts today. We know that prayer is working for us in some way or other.

Barbara

Barb,

This is a good news report for sure. Stable under most circumstances is a good thing , especially when it is applied to anything to do with lung cancer and or complications. Glad to know that the doctor now thinks it is safe for Bill to resume treatment. Hope they can find relief for his shoulder pain and peace of mind in treatment for the neck node. You guys put a smile on my face as I sit here visualizing you celebrating every positive thing in your lives. I loved reading about your lunch out . You two give so much more than you take from this board. Thank you Barb and Bill. You tell him , he has my prayers every day. Of course, both of you do. :)

Hugs,

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue and Everyone, :D

The update from last week was this:

Nurse from onologist's office called Sept. 4, and said to come in September 8 for bloodwork to test for Bill's coumadin levels. The numbers had not "moved" as of August 31 visit. Said to give 5mg pill and a 1/2 each evening (7 1/2 mg).

We were told to come into the Cancer Center for blood testing on Bill on Tuesday, September 8 (yesterday) morning.

Today, Wednesday, September 9, we received a phone call from Matt, Nurse from the oncologist's office. He told me that the numbers had moved into a good area, and for Bill NOT to take tonight's coumadin.

He said to start tomorrow evening with the original 5 mg pill daily, and to continue that. The doctor will check Bill in one week to see how the numbers are at that point.

Since yesterday morning, when we went over for the blood test and my visit (afternoon ultrasound) in the same building for my AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm), we have received good news for BOTH. Bill's good numbers, and my stable (not having grown in six months) aneurysm give us a reason to smile. :D

That means, for now, no more injections with the Lovenox. Yippeeee. Of course that's a cautious yippeeee. :roll:

Thank you all for seeing us through.

Barbara

(((((Barb))))))

I am so glad for both of you getting good reports. Keep on rocking!!!

I do need to tell you, if they have not already, that certain foods will interefere with his INR (coumadin) level. I try very hard not to eat those things, like grapefruit, spinach, brocolli, liver, etc. but as my doc says "everything you eat interefers with your coumadin level. So if its a little high periodically, don't get too excited. They change my dosage about every two - three weeks. Its just something that comes with being on coumadin. Oh, and if he gets decadron with chemo, its going to be a tad bit high probably, too. Thats why they always take mine PRIOR to chemo.

Good luck and congrats on being off the Lovenox. I dreaded giving myself those shots and the expense of it is totally ridiculous.

Hugs - Patti B.

Patti :D ,

Both of us are very exhausted at this point, but can be somewhat happy over the results.

Today, I received Bill's report of the scan of his shoulder. It doesn't look too good, but I ask everyone for prayers that they will be able to ease the pain a bit for him.

We don't know what they can do, but even a little bit might help. Bill doesn't take pain pills willingly. He's from the old school. You know? Personally, I am not. I would take an elephant pill if it would quell pain.

Thank you, Patti for the support. I count on receiving something to bolster me. August was a terrible month for us, but September may offer something nice.

We will be married 54 years on September 17. That is a very positive event. It was also my parents' anniversary. Isn't life coincidental? -- or Godincidental - :D

Barbara