Reece or any tarceva user

michellep

Michelle,

There does seem to be correlation between rash and benefit from Tarceva, but don't worry about it too much. I have heard from many that had little or no rash, but did get benefit. I didn't get any rash whatsoever until after 6 months on it, and when I did get it, it was pretty mild compared to others. I remained stable on Tarceva for 14 months. Everyone's different. Good luck to you and your husband.

Anne

I agree with Anne. Also, if your husband's skin is in pretty good shape (not too dry, fairly well moisturized through use of a nondrying soap/body wash supplemented with a moisturizing lotion after each bath/shower and the TLC of a devoted spouse :D ) then his skin problems might remain rather mild even if the Tarceva is working well.

Ned

there is some validity to the statement that the rash means the drug is working but I wouldn't read into it just yet. Deb had a very minor rash and hers worked for about 6 or 7 months as I recall!!!

Thank you all....I guess I just start to panic sometimes with this journey. I also wonder about giving myself a stroke. To be honest, this is the most difficult time of our lives and sometimes it's such a roller coaster. You have weeks of panic from things happening and suddenly you have "good days" and you really want to believe that it will just go away during those good days. It doesn't really happen does it? :cry:

Okay, we're on day #19 now and yes the rash is here. I've kept lotions on it in addition to antibiotic creams and managing. My concern now is that his symptoms are just like the ones he had during the beginning of his diagnosis. Extreme SOB, fatigue and semi-high heart rate. Even with the gemzar/carbo he was breathing better than this. So, this morning he was trying to get to the bathroom and had to stop and rest because his O2 dropped to 80 and needed to sit down. I've turned his oxygen up from 3 to 5 and he still feels SOB. Has anyone else had these issues with Tarceva or do you think the disease is progressing? Hopefully I can catch the PA this week when we go in for lab.

"Patti B"]Michelle-

Unfortunately, Tarceva did not work for me so I had real side effects. I would, however, not take a chance and give the doc a call first thing in the morning. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

What side effects did you have Patti?

Funny you would mention the diarhea .....Since it comes suddenly right after eating I told him I was going to serve him all his food while sitting on the toilet! We are scheduled for a scan in about 6 weeks. I hope to see improvement......dear god please!

Michelle, diarrhea is a common side effect and the doctor should be able to advise on how to handle it. It requires mega doses of immodium to control it and then it levels out and is under control, from what I can remember about it. Diarrhea is also a serious side effect if left uncontrolled. It can cause dehydration very very quickly. I saw this happen with my mom .

As for turning his oxygen from 3 to 5... I don't want to be saying something I shouldn't , but.... changing oxygen levels is very critical.. too much can do more harm than not enough. Also, if he was on 3 and it's not enough, I would contact the doctor asap or go to the er. That's a case of very serious shortness of breath. I don't mean to scare you, only try to give you good advice.. Get medical attention NOW.. don't wait. There are many reasons for this.

PLEASE , keep us updated. It sounds to me like you need to contact the doc asap.

Hugs,

Sue