2nd ALIMTA treatment--Update 9/23!!!!!

fillise

I am visiting my mom and dad in NC this week. She had an onc. appointment today. Her blood counts were good so she went ahead and had her second Alimta treatment today. He reduced her dose by 20% because of the toxicity of the last dose. So far today she seems to be doing well. Her Neulasta shot is tomorrow and that is usually what brings on the aches and then the fatigue kicks in a day or so later. I hope I can stay here with her through the worst of it.

Susan

Susan, I am so glad you could be there for your mom. Very glad to hear the treaments are going good so far.

I know that nasty Neulasta shot could be trouble for some people. It was horrible for Joel, much worse then the chemo. They used to give him the shot the day after his treatment. They changed it to two days after and that seem to have made a difference.

Will be thinking of her..

Maryanne

Today is the 7th day since mom's last Alimta treatmant and I'm sad to say that she seems to be responding the same way she did to the first treatment. Tuesday and Wednesday she was fine. Thursday she spent most of the day in bed, but was able to go out to dinner that night. She ate well and seemed to be in good spirits. Friday she got weaker and started experiencing SOB and nausea. She has been worsening each day since. Today she was supposed to go to the oncologist for a follow-up, but had diarrhea so bad she couldn't leave the house. She is trying to drink a sports drink to combat dehydration so she won't end up back in the hospital.

It's hard not to be discouraged at this point.

Susan

Oh Susan,

I am so sorry to hear what your mom is going through and what the treatment is doing to her. Poor lady....

I will pray that she starts to feel better and those nasty symptoms leaves her.

I really am at a loss for words but please know I hold her tight in my thoughts. Hang in there...

Maryanne

Susan, I am so sorry to read that your mom is having such a bad reaction to Alimta. I can tell you that Alimta is NOT for everyone and the side effects can be severe to life threatening in some people. My husband could not tolerate it and went into pneumonitis because of it. Some people only have mild shortness of breath , but be sure to read the side effects of Alimta... they can be very severe.. Your poor mom is having a really rough time. Hope there is possibly another option out there for her.

Hugs,

Sue

Susan,

My heart goes out to you and your Mom. I remember how very, very tired Bill was on Alimta. He would be OK for a couple of days after treatment, but would fall into a very heavy fatigue.

It would last four to five days (at times) and he would bounce back, but it was always a concern whether, or not he would rebound.

I am saying prayers for a better outcome for your Mom.

Barbara

THanks everyone. Mom did finally bounce back and was feeling pretty good. She went to the onc. yesterday her red bllod cells are down to 8 so she is headed over to the hospital tomorrow to get a couple of units of red blood cells. She was stunned because she has been feeling pretty good fort he last 4-5 days.

After tomorrow she ought to have a serious boost in energy. Her onc is giving her an additional 2 weeks to get stronger and then giving her another treatment of Alimta on the 6th. He is going to cut the dosage back again. Right now he plans to scan her in early November to see what kind of response she is having. After that they will make the decision on whether to go forward or try something else.

Susan