Introducint myself

kelli521

My name is Kelli, and my dad has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer. I moved to Fayetteville, NC about a year ago but am currently staying with my family in Omaha, NE while waiting for more answers on Dad and until his treatment gets going.

My dad was diagnosed with MS a little over 3 years ago. He is also a disabled vietnam veteran. He and my mom just celebrated their bitter sweet 35th wedding anniversary on Labor Day. I also have an older sister and older brother. My parents have 3 grandchildren and one on the way as well.

In May, Dad suffered what he thought was a relapse of his MS so he had an MRI the beginning of August. His private neurologist (he also goes to the VA, but they are slow) called and said there was a spot on his brain that was not a primary lesion so he needed to have CT scan on his chest to find the cause. Mom & Dad let us kids know on Wed, Aug 26th that Dad most likely had lung cancer with a metastese to the brain. Dad had a needle biopsy done on Fri, Aug 27th to determine type, but the results only showed atypical cells. I flew out to be with my family Mon, Aug 31. On Fri, Sept 4th, Dad's arm was numb when woke up and didn't get better throughout the day so he had another brain MRI that showed slight swelling of his brain lesion. He had a bronchoscopy and endobrachial ultrasound done on Tue, Sept 8th and we are awaiting the results. His doctors believe it is NSCLC due to the location. He also has an enlarged lymph node on the left side of his chest as well (same side as lung lesion). We should hopefully get the results from the latest biopsy today or tomorrow. Most likely he will have surgery to remove the small brain lesion follow by radiation. Then he will have chemo and radiation on the chest to treat the lung/lymph nodes.

His team of doctors is excellent and we all feel very confident in them and have much hope. We realize he has a long road ahead, but are praying and hoping for the best.[/img]

Kelli.....I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. You've found a wonderful place to come and meet others who can give you advice or just let you vent your fears. You sound like a wonderful caring daughter. Please let us know how the tests come back and if you ever need someone to talk to....we're here!

Welcome Kelli. So glad you found us. This is a tough time, we know, going through all the tests and biopsies. Sounds like his doctors are working hard to get him ready for treatment. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi Kelli,

I'm sorry too that there is a need to welcome you to this family.

I have been supporting and caring for my wonderful Mom over the past few months as we battle this demon. I am her only child. I know you will find - as I did - a wealth of information, truly caring and comforting people and a good outlet when you need to vent.

Best advice that I can share - fight strong, pray a lot and show your loved ones how much they mean to you every day.

Blessings,

Kimberly

Hi Kelli,

Welcome to this very warm and supportive community. I'm sorry to read about your father. You will find many here who can answer your questions and offer support.

I also recommend www.cancergrace.org. GRACE is an oncologist mediated site with wonderful information about treatments and the doctors will answer any questions you have about treatment options. They can't give specific medical advice, but can and do offer their knowledge on the different treatment options as well as other information.

Susan