Getting to Know You - Wednesday, September 16

Ann

My best friend from high school and I recently got in touch through Facebook, after 40 years. She and I have both had a blast talking abot old times, as well as new times. I am actually going to be seeing her next month, as she is flying in for a weekend visit!!! I'm so excited !!! She and I were always more like sisters than best friends!!!

I haven't seen or heard from anyone from High School in well over 40 years. I had moved out of state and lost contact.

I guess my oldest friend now would have to be Johnn's brother Harold. I haven't seen him in about 4 or 5 years. He has some serious problems from a heart attack years ago and brain damage. Never the less he still remembers me. I hadn't seen him in over 20 years when Johnny and I got back together. The first thing he asked Johnny one day while we were talking with him was when he was going to marry me. With all of his problems and all of the years between he knew that we had always loved each other.

My best friend is Jackie and she has been my BFF for 50 years. We go out to dinner once a month.

I also see friends from grammer school once a year and go out to dinner with high school friends once a month.

Old friends are great, but new friends are great. I guess what I am saying is that friends are the best.

I've never had a lot of friends, but the few I have had are great friends, quality friends, and ones that I would never hope to lose. I have three close friends that I keep in touch with often.

My BFF from High School and I sort of lost touch while in college. But about 10 years ago we reconnected and now we talk to each other every week. We try to get together ever few weeks, and when we do it's like we are 16 again and nothing has changed and we just have fun.

My childhood BFF used to be my neighbor in elementary school. We've known each other, and been friends for 34 years (since 2nd grade). We've keep close and really look out for each other. We've worked together and tried to bring the other with us whenever we've changed jobs so we have spent the best part of the past 15 years seeing each other daily. Just like back in the old school days, I can't imagine life without her support and friendship as part of my daily life.

My third BFF I met while in college and working bartending. What started out as a party friend became a relationship where we were always there for each other no matter what. If that meant holding each other's hair while we puked, or crying over Sara Lee frozen cheese cake when a boyfriend broke our hearts. We talk almost daily, and try to get together at least once a month (hard since we live 3 hours apart now). We met 17 years ago, but feel like we've been friends our whole lives. We call each other Sista, cuz we couldn't be any closer if we were born together.

Five years ago a group of about 12-14 women reconnected in a new way at a high school class reunion. We'd been seeing each other regularly at reunions for years but suddenly we were older and more aware of the passage of time. We've been meeting at the NJ shore for five years now and do still laugh and giggle like teenagers. Some of these gals went to kindergarten with me!

Since having cancer, my husband has made a point of helping me reconnect with our neighbors and friends from Kutztown where we lived before moving to the Keys in 1986. We'd been there for 12 years. Tally and I would talk at least yearly on the phone after they helped us move but seeing her and Nick and having dinner these past couple of years has been really special.

I agree that new friends are important too--those of you here have become so important in my life. I hope to keep meeting more of you face-to-face year to year.

My old buddy Don, known him since I was about 12. Haven't seen him in about 12 yrs, went to visit him last year and he was out of town unexpectedly the same weekend. Have another friend that I've known since I was 5 and hadn't talked to him in almost 30 yrs and called and got hold of him last year. Since being ill I really want to keep more in touch with my past, have just reconnected with about ten of my cousins all over the country on facebook, sure is cool.