Don't rely on docs re: drug interactions

michellep

I've learned something very important that I want to share with all of you. My husband see's multiple doctors and I'm always concerned when each of them prescribe medications to my husband without consulting with each other. I've seen side effects from my husband that had me very concerned so I found a web site that will allow you to enter each medication (for free) and check for interactions. Some I entered warned me of "severe interactions". I spoke with one of my husbands doctors about this and his attitude (without words of course) was basically....well, with this stage of lung cancer it doesn't matter. Well my dear friends......IT DOES MATTER!

My hope is that all caregivers and LC survivors themselves please check all your meds. If not at this site....then one you can trust.

Please go to: Mymedicalrecords.com There is a link on the right hand side of this page to enter your meds. Good luck to everyone! And bless each of you!

Also, most pharmacists are more than happy to do this for you, and I think the software they have available might be more capable and up-to-date than the free sites we can access. They generally consider this service to be part of their job and don't act like they're being pulled away from more important things like some doctors do.

But if you don't happen to be at the pharmacy and the question of side effects or interactions comes up, Mymedicalrecords.com or one of the other sites is a great place to start. Aloha,

Ned

Yes, I agree that the pharmacy is good also. But, I've found meds that have interactions the pharmacy didn't mention to me. Perhaps using both is safe?

Also, I just remembered what happened this week while in the hospital. He was started on blood thinners and they gave me a print out on this medication. It said to avoid not only lettuce, asparagus and broccoli but also to stay away from fish oils (omega 3). Then the nurse came in with Omega's and he had salad on his lunch tray......go figure. We "always" need to double check things.

Michelle-

I use a website called Drugs.com and am pretty happy with it.

NOW - I am so mad - how dare a doctor infer that It doesn't matter with patients with advanced cancer???? How DARE he??? I don't care who the patient is or what stage of their disease they are, doctors have no right to feel like some patients don't need the care that others do. That just makes me so mad. hat doc is just lucky I wasn't there with you, Michelle - cause he would be in the ER and you would be posting my bail (I hope :lol: )

How DARE he!!!!!!!

Hugs - Patti B

Bless your heart my dear friend. No matter how tough times get for me (and there have been more than I even remember) you always come in and say something to cheer me up or make me laugh!

Bail money is no problem....I'll talk to Katie and maybe we can set up a collection fund for us members who lose it, huh?

Things are better...which I updated in another thread. Have a home nurse coming now every six hours starting tonight! wOOT :D

Michelle-

Hope its a BIG bail collection fund!!!!

I really am not a mean person but I just can't stand to see people being rude to pther people - especially when it comes to something like cancer. Sometimes I think these docs "forget" exactly what they are dealing with.....or maybe thats their way of not getting too attached. But that still doesn't make it right.

My mom is in her nineties and I had to take her to the ER one night. I was standing in the doorway of her room and these two docs were talking about a nursing home patient coming in with a BP of 80/50. The one doc said top the other doc "gee, thats pretty good. Those old ones usually come in here with a BP of 0/0.......and proceeded to laugh and laugh and laugh. He turned and saw me and almost died himself and believe me, he tried to take off but I let him know how innapropriate that was.

Theres nothing wrong with being nice to other people!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Michelle,

I worked in a pharmacy for a few years about OMG! 20 years ago? Even back then when they first started computers they had the capability to flag drug interactions. I would use your site, but I would take that info to your pharmacist. Pharmacists study drugs and the reaction to the human body and interactions for 5 years, doctors take 1 maybe 2 semesters. Also I would punch in a rx and it would come up with a severity 9 (the worst) and the pharmacist would check it and say that's okay, because so and so, and this that and the other thing. So as been said check your website stuff with your pharm. Also only get meds filled at one pharm if possible!

Dana

• 4 weeks later...

I don't even know where to start.....my response is so long, so emotional...Mom was just released from the hospital Thursday. WHY did she go to the ER Monday night???? BECAUSE SHE WAS OVER-MEDICATED and had been hallucinating. I couldn't agree with anything more than your post. We were simply following ALL the doctor's orders with prescriptions. Who knew we were overdosing my mom?

But that's not the worst of our problems....as you call know, ER visits get the tests done much faster. Her MRI gave us reason for concern....as well as her over-health at this point. I will post on a separate post now about Mom.

But YES, YES, YES....we MUST be our own advocates with our health care. I've been my mom's advocate form day 1. Everyone needs to do their research (or have someone do the research for them)....and question the doctors, question the treatment, etc.

I'm so happy that your Mom is okay. Thank God she has you to watch out for her. I started this post because of all the interactions I was finding. Not enough monitoring from these doctors on interactions NOR from the pharmacy I learned. Please check yourself just to be on the safe side and I hope your mom is doing better.

(((HUGS))))