Getting to Know You - Tuesday, September 22

Ann

When things are at their worst in your life how do you find inner peace, how do you cope, how do you even keep on breathing? I know that many of you are deeply religious or spiritual and I'm sure that is what helps you but what about others? I believe in the power of prayer but feel that there are things we must be able to do for ourselves also. So, tell us about your way of achieving inner peace.

First thing I do is cry a lot. Then I find time to go for a walk or just sit outside and look at the beautiful Earth that God had created. That always seems to bring a sense of peace.

I also have to remind myself of the joy I have known in this life. I think what my life would be had I never experienced the love or the pain of the last 8 years and I begin to realize that things do go the way they should. Just not always in our time, I know too that time is a man made thing not a God made thing.

His timing is always right because it is infinite and we are so impatient wanting what we had yesterday or what is yet to come and maybe just maybe they really all exist at once. We just have to find them.

I go back to what I learned to do years ago and unfortunately have pretty much left by the wayside. I meditate. Years ago when my world felt pretty much trashed, my mother who I never knew started appearing in my meditations which I did fairly regularly for some time. Nothing dramatic, she just walked with me and I felt her comforting presence. After I was dx'd, I meditated again for short time--during that time my three mothers appeared, all are deceased now. Again, nothing dramatic, just feeling wrapped in their comfort and love.

Judy in Key West

Outside of trusting in God, my strength lies in the knowledge of two earthly situations. The first is in my ability to change the situation at hand. If I can change it for the better then I focus on the things I need to do to effect that change. If I cannot change the situation at hand then I see it as wasted time to repeatedly ponder that I cannot change it. (Not to be confused with reconsidering whether I can make a positive change). So I put my thoughts and efforts elsewhere. The second earthly situation is that I am the emotional anchor for a number of people, who will react largely as I do. If I maintain my composure and react smoothly, they will too for the most part and not that they don't have their own inner strength, I cannot allow myself to be the root or the catalyst for them to lose their strength.

So to sum it up, If I can fix it, I can. If I can't, I don't worry about it. I draw much strength from my inner perception that I must protect those close to me, (whether they really need it or not).

Will

Ya pour yourself a cold beverage. whatever Ya like and Ya go outside and sit under the stars at night adn Have LOOOOOOONG Talks with God. HE can hear really good with no roof in the way!!!!

I love all of your responses to this question. Randy...I'm with you on going under the stars...drink or not. I feel closest to God...and to Dennis...when I'm outside on a starry night. If I can't be outside, I love lighting a lot of candles and just sitting in the dark thinking about the situation that is causing me to feel helpless.

I think I am most like Dana. I don't know what I actively do to obtain inner peace other than when life has sunk me to the deepest valleys, I put my head down and start walking the steep incline up, because there is no other option. And somehow miraculously after a while, if I can stay away from the back sliding of self pity, then eventually it gets to a point where the walk isn't so steep. It's always going to be a journey and now a harder walk than life once was, but the path does ease as you move further along.