A Nice Little Christmas Present.

DeanCarl

A little while ago I posted a copy of a e-mail I wrote to a local (San Diego) news anchor, Carol LeBeau, who does the "staying healthy" reports for our ABC affiliate. It's in the "Acitivism" forum if you didn't see it.

Well, I was watching that news show this evening and the "Staying Healthy" report was on a clinical trial going on at the University of California at San Diego Medical center to study the role of CT scans vs. X-rays in the .... drum roll please ... EARLY DETECTION OF LUNG CANCER!

All the points I brought up in my e-mail to Carol were addressed in the segment. Including the fact that there are early screenign processes for all kinds of cancer but not for lung cancer.

Now, I don't know if my e-mail had anything to do with tonights segment. I never did get a reply. But I'm going to send a thank you note to her anyway. It was a VERY good segment.

Dean

Dean:

Congratulations. This is what it is going to take, cities like San Diego; Madison, WI; Twin Cities, and other cities across the country, running local stories about lung cancer. I personally think this is better, because many times, a local celebrity may have an affiliation with someone who has lung cancer. Try to get a meeting with this reporter. You may be surprised, as she may just want to talk to you.

Well I heard from the reporter today. Turned out to be a serendipitous (sp?) kind of thing. She'd read my e-mail the day before UCSD called to pitch the story to her. It was a combination of the two things that cause her to do the story.

Whatever the reason, it was a good thing.

Dean