Pink Lids & Things

Debi

I'm not sure if anyone has posted a rant about October and Breast Awareness month yet - if not, please let me be the first---

I picked up my prescriptions at the pharmacy yesterday and the lids on the pills are PINK!!!!! Of course this sent my blood pressure totally through the roof (which ironically is what the pills are for). Now mind you, this has nothing to do with our fellow sufferers that have breast cancer, it is solely against the marketing (yes marketing) of breast cancer at the exclusion of all other cancers.

Walmart and every other store you can think of, capitalizes on breast cancer like Hallmark does by inventing holidays. They have displays of pink items, because they will sell more if they are pink- October is like a pink wonderland. But we have had to fight for our first corporate sponsor. And then I get a mammogram and I am sat in a room, in a thick cushioned rocking chair no less, with one of those machines that has crickets chirping in the background and yoga music, and encased in a fluffy pink robe waiting for the technician. I can't help but think the money spent on the fluff could be better well spent elsewhere.

True story - I was in the supermarket a few weeks ago and the cashier asked " would you like to make a donation for breast cancer" and, being in a pissy mood, I replied - "Not in this lifetime", ummm a bit too loud. I glanced to the left and there were 3 female faces standing in line behind me staring at me as if I were Satan. I thought about explaining how lung cancer takes far more women than breast cancer, etc - but to be honest, I just wasn't in the mood to explain myself that day.

I am glad that 30 or so years ago women banded together and took breast cancer out from the shadows and put it where it belongs. It is proof that a small group of people can make a change. But there is still no cure for breast cancer or any cancer regardless of the billions of dollars that have been channeled that way. Let's put the money into other cancers, maybe the key to the cure will be found in research for lung cancer or any of the other cancers that loom in the shadows of the great pink marketing tool.

That all said, our voices are being heard. When I first came on this board, there was barely a lung cancer walk anywhere. Times are a changing I suppose but I am an impatient person and there have been too many good people lost on the battlefield. I want better opportunities for those that are coming. I'm involved in the Department of Defense Peer Review Panel and am overwhelmed with all the different theories out there for research into possible cures and better therapy for lung cancer. I am very glad that the DOD is now funding money for lung cancer but the 20 million seems so small next to the 138 million or so that is for breast cancer research.

Sorry this post is long and choppy and hope I haven't offended anyoen- I'm just pinked out already- I just don't want the damn pink lids. Its bad enough that the same drug store chain that is giving me pink lids still sells cigarettes... but that's an entirely different rant... :-)

Debi, you've hit the nail on the head (there's most likely a better metaphor, but I can't think of one right now). Whatever anger I and many others feel about the deluge of pink this time of year is probably misdirected. We should not resent the success of breast cancer research advocates in recent years, since that work could benefit all of us, including the guys. (Did you see the report on former marines — males — who got breast cancer apparently from pollution at Camp Lejeune?) Rather, any sense of outrage is better directed at the excessive commercialization of the issue, similar to the way many view the shameless marketing of the Christmas season.

Ned

Debi, I'm not at all put off by your rant. I have a niece with breast cancer and I want her to have every opportunity to survive. But we just recently lost Tracy and Wendy and Sandra. The lives of their young families have been just as devastated by the loss as would be the families of any young women who died of breast cancer. It's just so out of balance, and I agree, it's the marketing of breast cancer than offends.

Judy in Key West

Went out for lunch Friday - table top ad for Octobreast event - fundraiser for Gilda's Club and Breast Cancer. Stopped by the grocery store yesterday and was asked if we wanted to buy something at the checkstand to support breast cancer. Opened a package of yeast today - had a pink ribbon on the label!

A little overwhelming.

and then, we missed Lance Armstrong Day on Friday - wear Yellow!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only person that feels this way at this time of year. I'm glad that so much attention has been given to raising funds for breast cancer research but thee are so many of us, touched by lung cancer, that are here....screaming to what appears to be a deaf world!!!

OK Debi - I was already all fired up - emotiional weekend involving Tracy's family ~ then the news of Sandra ~ then the pink lids and pink football. I have so many naughty words that Katie would have me thrown off the board. Don't ya just HATE it? Hight point - GREAT to see you here, friend!

Love,

Kasey

I have and will support breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, brain cancer etc etc. That said, the pink is totally out of hand only because of the one-sidedness (new word) of it.

I was in Ulta tonight, guess what - a whole pink campaign. Then I went to Michael's Crafts, guess what - another huge display of pink items for sale, then I went to book club and our book was the "Middle Place" about bc and most of the women wore pink. It is a very heart warming book, I would totally recommend it.

Let's pick 12 diseases and designate a month for each with the same kind of attention that bc gets.

If you look at the statistics, bc is becoming more and more curable. Do you think funding has anything to do with this??????

You have opened my favorite can of worms. It gets opened every October and drives me to distraction.

For years I said that if I ever got breast cancer I'd be very thankful to Susan G Komen and her friends for all the time and effort they put into breast cancer but I was sick of PINK. I've been known to leave a store because of PINK displaysl, I've questioned how much money goes to the cause when I see PINK Tic-Tacs for example.

Well I got breast cancer and I'm still sick of PINK. A friend knowing how I feel about it all sent me this link which I hope will work for you guys.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magaz ... paign=8315

Don't think I did that right but if it won't work it was in the Boston Globe Magazine on Oct 4.

This article was written about a bunch of breast cancer survivors who feel the same way we all do - not for the same reasons (lack of lc coverage) but just because they're sick of pink.

My daughter gave me a really cute pink baseball cap with her company logo on it when I lost my hair, I wore it without thinking and got horribly teased when the people I'd been railing to about pink ribbons saw it!

I was dx with sclc in 2001 and bc in 2007 the lc cause gets my support, there are more than enough people and corporations rallying around the PINK they don't need my two cents so Debi I'm with you - not in my lifetime..........I'm a bc survivor but I don't support PINK :shock:

I'll proudly walk for lung cancer on November 7th but I'm not buying anything PINK in October.

End of rant :)

Geri

Ah yes--pink month again. All I think we are asking is to spread the love! One of my problems with all of the pink stuff is it is hard to be sure how much of the proceeds are going to BC research.

We have wondered if my mom's LC is related to her BC. Her primary tumor is in her right lung behind where she got her radiation treatments.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm sure getting sick of pink and its only the 5th day of the month.

Susan

Ah yes--pink month again. All I think we are asking is to spread the love! One of my problems with all of the pink stuff is it is hard to be sure how much of the proceeds are going to BC research.

We have wondered if my mom's LC is related to her BC. Her primary tumor is in her right lung behind where she got her radiation treatments.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm sure getting sick of pink and its only the 5th day of the month.

Susan

Hope you all saw my rant about Pink Football in another thread. I AM writing to both the Browns and the NFL - lets spread the wealth people!!!! Even if they don't want to recognize LC (because of course they all think we deserve it) what about all the other cancers??? and heart disease, diabetes, Parkinsons, etc.

My mom is a 19 year BC survivor so I have nothing against them finding a cure but there are other diseases out there, too. I am sure that if we complain too much, they will say we are not proactive enough....duh......I googled awareness month listings and under Wikipedia......LUNG CANCER isn't even on the list, altho December is something about peanut butter awareness!!!!

OK - its too high on this soap box - I will get off now. Let ya all know what the NFL says.

Hugs - Patti B

Hey Patti ~ I say let's jump on that peanut butter awareness bandwagon and while there do our preaching! GRRRRR..........

Just a thought - maaybe if we wore purple or white tshirts with the other color (purple or white) lungs painted on the front, folks may think we were showing off boobs or something and actually pay attention to it. I'd give it a go.

:?

hah!

Okay, so I wish that I had a camera phone because I sure would have had some picture today!

I went to the beauty school to get my hair cut and the hairdresser puts a pink cape on me, I'm thinking, okay its just pink. But as I'm watching in the mirror, I see on the front of the cape, a HUGE pink breast cancer ribbon over my left torso. The entire time she is cutting my hair, I am covered in this pink breast cancer cape. Not only that, but my hair is covered with pink clips since she uses those to hold it up while she's cutting.

I didn't say anything - Its bad enough she is a student trying to cut my hair right - but I thought of the board and couldn't help grinning. There is so much humor in life - I start this post and 2 days later I'm the breast cancer advertisement in the salon chair complete with pink cape and matching pink hairclips like some caped breast cancer crusader.

Who knew?

I wish you'd had a camera too, Debi. HOWEVER, I think it''s so much better ~ the image I have in my head with you as the PINK CRUSADER!!!! I guess you're right ~ just gotta find humor sometimes. Sure glad you didn't say anything though. God knows what your hair would look like about now. Maybe PINK :roll::?:wink::evil: ???

I do love ya Debi.

Kasey

For some reason this year, this is hitting me especially hard. As others have mentioned, this is a yearly issue- every October...

Susan hit on my concern. I actually think this pink "marketing" is doing a disservice to all of us. Do I truly believe that if I purchase the pink cupcakes my local grocery store is selling this month, that I am in any tangible monetary way, supporting breast cancer research? I am 99.99% sure there is no money going to bc research from those cupcakes....

But, I think, there are many many people who DO believe it. That will purchase those pink cupcakes over the plain white ones because they believe somehow they are making a difference.

I do know that many of the products donate a portion of their proceeds. But the number of products now is so staggering- it is getting harder and harder to tell which ones are worthy of purchasing.

I think this blurring of the lines into breast cancer used as marketing does a huge disservice to the organizations truly raising funds. On one hand, it does raise awareness, but on the other, how many people are purchasing products (thinking they are doing good), instead of donating directly.....

Amy