Bone Scans, Hot Spots & Titanium Wires/UPDATE 10/12/09

Flyman35

After much rigamorow Tom finally had his bone scan today. They did his shoulders and his chest. When they were done they told him right away that he had a hot spot in the center of his chest. They said nothing about the shoulder which was the original reason her went in.

Tom told them that he had previous heart surgery and her does have titanium wire down the center of his chest.

My question now is, would the radioactive isotope that they use for the scan cause the titanium to show up as a hot spot? This has my heart all a flutter.

Denise

Denise, how awful to be left hanging with that. Did they they say it was at all possible that it could be connected to the titanium wire. What will they do next for clarification. If they found nothing in the bones, that was great news. I the "hot spot" was the titanium wire you need to know so you and Tom can properly celebrate--NO BONE CANCER.

Judy in Key Wes

Denise,

When did Tom have his heart surgery? The "hot spot" in my bone scan was the rib that was notched for my thoracotomy. Healing can be "activity" - not sure how long the healing process takes for cut bones, but I do know that there are a lot of cut up ribs in heart surgery and a nice little cage made to hold it all back together.

Thanks guys.

Becky - It has been 5 1/2 years since Tom's bypass.

Tom called a few minutes ago and said they called him with his results and it doesn't look good. They told him again that they are seeing something in his rib cage. There is still no definitive answer as to whether it is actually bone mets or if his wires are lighting up. Oy vey!!

Denise