With Lung Cancer Hand Washing Goes Beyond H1N1

Barb73

http://lungcancer.about.com/b/2009/10/0 ... ention.htm

BLOG ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

It seems everyplace I go lately I am offered hand sanitizer. The airport, the entrance to University buildings, the grocery store; even strategically placed at the top of friend's purses. The H1N1 (swine) flu has us scared. While emerging infectious diseases can strike our panic button, the "old" infectious diseases - bacteria and viruses that have been with us throughout history - remain of greater concern for those living with lung cancer.

A new study looked at people with lung cancer going through chemotherapy, and analyzed the cost of neutropenia (a low white count) following treatment. (Neutropenia can raise the risk of developing an infection.) The cost was substantial. Even with all of the talk about healthcare reform, it's not the issue of cost that caught my eye. We are talking about living after all. My brain translated those costs to the bedside, and the physical and emotional anguish that those infections cause for individual people I care about.

Sometimes infections after chemotherapy are unavoidable. Sometimes you may need medications or a delay before your next treatment. The precautions being broadcast to prevent the flu, are good to keep in mind as well.

Most important in preventing infections is what we keep hearing. "Wash your hands, stay away from sick people, and avoid large crowds." But having an awareness of other ways to help prevent infections during chemo may help as well. Should you skip that manicure? Switch to an electric shaver? Have someone else clean the litter box? Avoid sushi? Decline that plea to hold your grandson's iguana? Ask your oncologist what you can do to help prevent infections, and check out Coping With Neutropenia for other tips on staying infection-free.

. . . . . . . . .

(About.com, Health/Lung Cancer, Blog Article by Lynn Eldridge MD, October 7, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.

Thanks Barb, it's a good reminder of things to look out for. For now I've added not flying even though it's a big sacrifice. I get my fill of long trips in the RV. But I live at the end of the US and miss planning short trips from time to time when my husband works or hunts.

Judy in Key West