exercise fights Fatigue!!

RandyW

London, Oct 14 (ANI): High and low intense cardiovascular and resistance training can help reduce fatigue in cancer patients who are undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy or treatment for advanced disease, claims a new study.

The supervised exercise programmes also improve patients’ vitality, muscular strength, aerobic capacity and emotional well-being, according to research published on bmj.com.

However, the research, led by Professor Lis Adamsen from Copenhagen University Hospitals, also concludes that the mixed high and low intense exercise programme does not improve the overall quality of life for such patients.

An increasing number of cancer patients are being treated with chemotherapy, either given alone or with surgery and/or radiotherapy. While chemotherapy treatments have improved, patients still suffer from side-effects, including nausea, vomiting, pain, insomnia, appetite loss and fatigue. Surveys show that fatigue is one of the most frequent and burdensome side-effects, says the study.

Two hundred and sixty nine cancer patients took part in the study across two hospitals in Copenhagen, 196 participants were female and 73 were male. The ages ranged from 20 to 65, with an average age of 47. The study included 21 different diagnoses of cancer.

The exercise training included high and low intensity cardiovascular and resistance training, relaxation and body awareness and massage. Participants in the study group received nine hours of weekly training for six weeks in addition to conventional care.

Established research criteria were used to rate patients’ views at the end of the study. The results showed that patients who took part in the study experienced significantly less fatigue than the group who did not undergo exercise training, and even patients with advanced disease could benefit.

Although male patients participated, there was a clear majority of female patients, and exercise training should be developed with greater appeal to male patients, add the authors. (ANI)

Other Similar Posts:

Cetuximab drug with chemo may cut death risk in lung cancer patients Washington, Sept 22 (ANI): Giving drug cetuximab (Erbitux) along with chemotherapy can significantly reduce death risk in lung cancer patients, researchers have found. The study showed that patients with advanced non-small...

Exercise counselling, fitness centre training improve muscular strength in type 2 diabetics Washington, September 23 (ANI): A combination of exercise counselling by physical therapists and fitness centre training can prove very helpful in improving muscular strength and exercise capacity in people with type 2 diabetes,...

Exercise beats shockwaves for chronic shoulder pain London, Sept 16 (ANI): Supervised exercise helps ease chronic shoulder pain better than sound shockwave treatment, a new study suggests. In the study, published in the online British Medical Journal, team of researchers...

Novel way to improve bone health in cancer patients undergoing radiation treatment Washington, Sept 16 (ANI): Scientists looking for ways to reduce bone loss in astronauts claim to have found a novel way of improving the bone health of cancer patients undergoing radiation treatment. "Our studies indicate...

Depression ‘ups cancer patients’ dying risk’ Washington, Sept 14 (ANI): Depression can decrease a cancer patient's chances of survival, a new research suggests. Published in the November 15, 2009 issue of Cancer, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society,...

Wine may offer radioprotective effect for breast cancer patients Washington, Aug 14 (ANI): Drinking wine can actually lower incidence of skin toxicity in breast cancer patients undergoing breast carcinoma, according to a new study. An international team of researchers sought to determine...

Exercise training ‘improves mobility in stroke patients’ Washington, Oct 7 (ANI): Exercise training after stroke can significantly help patients to walk faster and longer, say researchers. A Cochrane review showed that stroke patients who participate in a post-stroke...

Personality trait a factor in weight loss: Study London, Sep 25 (IANS) Can personality trait be a factor in weight loss? A new study says yes. Stating an example, the study says being too optimistic could derail weight loss efforts. Hitomi Saito from Doshisha University,...

Novel therapy to destroy cancer cells via laser drug activation London, Oct 13 (ANI): A revolutionary cancer treatment, called the Photodynamic therapy (PDT), could destroy cells in a patient's tumour without any side effects of surgery or chemotherapy. PDT uses a laser to activate an...

Strict diet, exercise alone unlikely to cure obstructive sleep apnea in fat patients Washington, Oct 15 (ANI): While a strict diet and exercise program may prove beneficial for obese patients with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), it is unlikely to eliminate the condition, according to a new...

Weight loss can prevent kidney disease progression in obese patients Washington, Sept 18 (ANI): Shedding extra pounds can preserve kidney function in obese people with kidney disease, according to a new study led by Indian origin scientist from Cleveland Clinic. Weight loss can improve a...

‘Wonder drug’ a true cancer-buster London, Sept 16 (ANI): A promising pill may be able to treat more types of cancer than first thought, according to researchers. The wonder pill can tackle five other forms of the disease - prostate, skin, ovarian, bowel...

Two significant advances in treating lung cancer announced Washington, August 9 (ANI): Scientists in America have announced two significant advances in treating lung cancer. Dr. Glen Weiss, from the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) and Scottsdale Healthcare, made...

Studying pet dogs with cancer may help find new treatments for human patients Washington, October 13 (ANI): Studying pet dogs with cancer may help achieve better understanding and new ways to treat human cancers, scientists believe. Dr. Chand Khanna and team at the Centre for Cancer Research...

Brain radiotherapy ‘leads to decline in mental function’ London, Aug 10 (ANI): Radiotherapy can damage memories and attention spans of patients being treated for brain tumours, according to a new study. The study of 65 patients, 12 years after they were treated, showed that those...

Tagged as: appetite loss, chemotherapy treatments, copenhagen university, exercise programme, exercise training

Exercise while on treatment has been very frustrating for me. As you may know, I have a Total Gym and enjoy using it. Even tho I've adapted my routine to my new normal, I still find myself settling into a regular schedule and then having it knocked to pieces with lack of energy following an infusion (unfortunately every three weeks). There are many times when I have to decide between going out which offers much needed socialization or working out. I don't have the energy to do both. I'm not about to join a gym again. Been there, done that. Best I can do is push myself back into it each cycle as soon as I can.

Thanks for this. It's reinforcing my intent to stay with it.

Judy in Key West

I think most of us already knew that exercise helps. I was determined to exercise all I could during my chemo.

But exercising when chemo has knocked your blood counts in the dirt is easier said than done. I was able to do less and less with each subsequent round.

But whatever you can do helps, it seems.