I finally have some information on SOB and pain

Tami

I went to have my stress test yesterday (finally, after begging them to look at my heart and not just my lung).

I had been having the SOB and burning pain all morning and my stress test was at 11:00. They did an echo stress test. I walked for just a bit and the doctor of course wanted me to push it so I walked until I couldn't breath anymore. I got off the treadmill and my heart, the pain, the SOB were quite severe. They took my BP and it was 179/110 and by then I was gasping, turning blue and feeling faint. I laid down and they looked at my heart quickly but I can't deal with lying down when I am SOB I feel like I'm smothering. So they quit trying to look at my heart and let me up. I was really having a bad time and they gave me some nitro which helped but dropped my BP down to 70/40 and then I was faint, sick and chills.. It was not a fun time. They wanted to take me by ambulance out and fly me to a large hospital. I kept saying no, it will pass, it will pass.

After oxygen, some more meds and 3 1/2 hrs. I was allowed to leave but I have to drive to the "big" hospital in my area and have a heart catherization. Looks like the one side of my heart is blocked. I honestly felt like saying "I told you.. I know my body". They said depending on the extent they may be able to put a stent in? Depends on how bad it is I guess when they see it.

I know if the scheme of surgery this won't be too bad but I'm less than thrilled about starting with hospitals again. This may help my SOB but to what extent I don't know? I'm not sure how this will help/hurt my chance of retirement disability which I began the paperwork on? The cardiologist I saw told me that because I don't have a history of heart disease, not over weight or other problems with BP etc.. that while it could be a placque build up it's probably due to the radiation I received. But hopefully I will know tomorrow.

While I'm happy to know the cause I wish it weren't quite so drastic with surgery. I'm worried about my kids being at home and lots of very stressful issues there. So I guess I'm worried how this will all play out.

Any advice, thoughts, prayers would be welcome. Just one more chapter I guess...

Tami,

My father had blockage in about half his heart and had a triple bypass about ten years ago. We didn't realize before his surgery how poor his color was (cadaver gray), but right after his surgery, he "pinked up" and then it was obvious how bad it had been.

He had to work through the phlegm after his surgery, but it seems to have made a difference of night and day in his shortness of breath.

You're better off than him, I would guess, he was slapped in the hospital mid-stress test. He went in for a test and had surgery three days later (his test was on a Friday).

Take care of yourself!

Becky

Thanks Becky..

They only allowed me to go home because I promised to avoid all stress till my surgery tomorrow.. lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :lol:

We both know how likely that is to happen!

Thanks for the kind words.. I hope that things will be better when this is over.

Tami

Becky, glad you found out. Not knowing is often the worst. But this sounds serious and it's o.k. to be scared. I know people are fond of saying they do this kind of surgery all the time, but when it you, it's real. Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted. Hopefully this will do the trick and your SOB and pain will be gone. Don't know about the disability issue. Bummer if a bad heart situation works to the negative!

Judy in Key West

Tami,

I will be praying that everything goes well tomorrow. Fortunately a heart cath and stent are pretty straightforward and you should feel better almost immediately. My dad has had several stents and he breezed through them. If course it's all different when it is happening to YOU! So try to stay calm today and hopefully tomorrow will bring good news and relief from your pain and SOB!

Susan